Railroad Forums 

• DCC Decoder Question

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1112959  by M1 9147

Hi guys, I have lots of stuff I want to install DCC with sound, however my main concern is my Amtrak electric engines such as the AEM-7 by Atlas made many years ago, and the Bachmann Spectrum HHP-8. Seems that there is no such type of DCC Decoder with sound with them unless you get seperate stuff, and I'm not willing to invest in that. Soundrax makes their Tsunami for diesels such as for Amtrak's P40/P42DC, and the EMD 710 in 2 different versions (mainly for my LIRR DM30AC engine I have in HO Scale which a friend is installing for me). Question is I know the standard DCC controlers with 8 pin connection is made for the Bachmann HHP-8, but is there such a DCC with Sound decoder made that can be used for those 2 types of Amtrak engines. Help is appreciated here, thank you!
 #1113034  by Backshophoss

This might be the only option avaible for now,for the Atlas AEM-7 and Bachmann HHP-8 with "plug-n-play" boards,
Digitrax ,SDN144PS,rated 1 amp,with 8-pin plug(walters# 245-SDN144PS,$49.95),then load you own recordings or
pull the sound files needed from Digitrax's Sound Depot.(http://www.digitrax.com)
The only "pure" electric motor sound decoder is setup for GG-1's,QSI,Quantum/Titan series,rated 2 amps
210073U(walters# 601-210073U,$129.95)
not sure if soundtraxx has a downloadable sound file database.