Railroad Forums 

• Amfleet I Cafe Car Details HO

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1109340  by rockvilla

Hi Folks

Im new to this forum, and new-ish to USRR modelling have been modelling UK (1:76) outline for a number of years.

I've picked up some old Bachmann HO Amfleet I Coach cars (3 in VIA Rail livery and 2 in Phase I which will all be getting repainted into Phase III, maybe 1 in Phase IV) and I'd like to convert one of the Coach cars to a Cafe Car. From what I can work out I need to blank off a window on either side and add roof and underframe details. Im not looking for 100% prototypical looks as I know the base models are not perfect.

Could any of you guys point me to a website that shows the roof and differences? I've had a good search on the internet (including the excellent Hebners site) and can mostly just find side shots.
 #1110159  by acelaphillies

Hi Joe,

rrpicturearchives.net is a great resource if you want a picture of a piece of railroad equipment, especially by roadnumber. There are thousands of pictures on this website that are great for reference. You can sort by roadname, locomotive model, car number range, and much more. If you look at the pictures you will come across a roof shot sooner or later.

For an Amtrak roster with roadnumbers this website is great: http://on-track-on-line.com/amtrak-roster.shtml

Anything else just ask!
 #1110195  by green_elite_cab

rockvilla wrote:Hi Folks

Im new to this forum, and new-ish to USRR modelling have been modelling UK (1:76) outline for a number of years.

I've picked up some old Bachmann HO Amfleet I Coach cars (3 in VIA Rail livery and 2 in Phase I which will all be getting repainted into Phase III, maybe 1 in Phase IV) and I'd like to convert one of the Coach cars to a Cafe Car. From what I can work out I need to blank off a window on either side and add roof and underframe details. Im not looking for 100% prototypical looks as I know the base models are not perfect.

Could any of you guys point me to a website that shows the roof and differences? I've had a good search on the internet (including the excellent Hebners site) and can mostly just find side shots.

Why would you do all that work when Amfleet I cafe's are available? Bachman makes these currently. I have some of the old Amfleets by bachmann, and they'd be just fine together.

I suppose I can understand if you want to avoid shipping (since its likely any amfleet you buy will have to take a trip across the ocean), but i'm not sure that is enough to convince me that a tricky rebuild is the best answer.
 #1110411  by rockvilla

acelaphillies wrote:Hi Joe,

rrpicturearchives.net is a great resource if you want a picture of a piece of railroad equipment, especially by roadnumber. There are thousands of pictures on this website that are great for reference. You can sort by roadname, locomotive model, car number range, and much more. If you look at the pictures you will come across a roof shot sooner or later.

For an Amtrak roster with roadnumbers this website is great: http://on-track-on-line.com/amtrak-roster.shtml

Anything else just ask!
Hi Acelaphillies

Thanks for your reply and those links, I spent a good few hours on those sites last night and have gained a lot of useful information not just in AMT stock!

I hope I can be of such great help to you one day!

Thanks again
 #1110413  by rockvilla

green_elite_cab wrote:

Why would you do all that work when Amfleet I cafe's are available? Bachman makes these currently. I have some of the old Amfleets by bachmann, and they'd be just fine together.

I suppose I can understand if you want to avoid shipping (since its likely any amfleet you buy will have to take a trip across the ocean), but i'm not sure that is enough to convince me that a tricky rebuild is the best answer.
Hi green_elite_cab

Thanks for your reply. I can see where you are coming from regarding the availability of a Bachmann Amfleet I Cafe Car (which Im aware of), however I have managed to pick up 3 as new Amfleet I coach cars for the princely sum of $6 (£9 sterling). They are in painted in a VIA Rail blue/yellow scheme which I will have to strip back and repaint in Amtrak livery.

I do enjoy a good challenge and the thought of turning one of these Coach cars into a Cafe car will be a good incentive for me to get on with the job. I've bashed a lot of UK outline stock into differing types so Im not stranger to these kind of things. I reckon the hardest part will be avoiding damaging the fluting above and below the window band as I fill the windows in. I'll post photos of my progress as I go along.

I've also picked up another 2 Amfleet I's in Phase III (again very cheaply) so I'll have 4 Coach cars and 1 Cafe car at the end. Hopefully!!!
 #1110721  by green_elite_cab

Well, I suppose if you want to put that effort in. The amfleet shells are all pretty similar. the only major differences I can think of are a few vents at the mid point of the roof (two small square ones similar to the ones on the ends of the cars), as well as a large oval vent. You should be able to tell the windows by photographs.

What time period are you going for? Ever consider a viewliner diner kitbash? that would be something new that nobody has a model of yet.
 #1111422  by rockvilla

green_elite_cab wrote:Well, I suppose if you want to put that effort in. The amfleet shells are all pretty similar. the only major differences I can think of are a few vents at the mid point of the roof (two small square ones similar to the ones on the ends of the cars), as well as a large oval vent. You should be able to tell the windows by photographs.

What time period are you going for? Ever consider a viewliner diner kitbash? that would be something new that nobody has a model of yet.
Hi

Im modeling the late 90's period, a mix of Phase III and Phase IV. Thanks for the suggestion about a Viewliner Diner, I've had a look round the internet and found a drawing plus a number of photographs. Looks like an interesting project to take on at a later date, the donor model looks quite hard to find in HO.