Railroad Forums 

• Modeling NJT

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1092205  by ApproachMedium

I use refer orange to paint my handrails and grabs on NJT equiptment. It seems to be the best match. Also keep in mind NJT doesnt always use the same colors for things like that. I have been on locomotives with faded to red and faded to yellow handrails.
 #1092220  by Steve F45

acelaphillies wrote:Thanks both of you for weighing in.
Steve F45 wrote:Use floquil Platinum mist and engine black. Gloss coat over it all, apply decals then use a semi-gloss and you good to go. Thats what i did for my p40.
I saw your P40 #4800 and it looks good! Did you use reefer orange for the oragne like G.E.C. suggested? Also, do you have any other tips for modeling a NJT P40? You didn't wind up having to cut the long disco stripe decal did you?
i didn't use any orange paint. If there's orange on it, its from decals. I never fully finished the P40. Someday when i can stop adding more projects to my list i'll have it fully finished with a motor/dcc/lights. lol But when I do add the handrails it will be with reefer orange painted on.
 #1092447  by green_elite_cab

You're going to have to cut the strpe decals to fit, since the P40DC is "Shorter" than the PL42AC. Still, this shouldn't be to problematic. What I would do, is cut the decals only once in the center of each solid color area, and overlap them.

Before wetting or applying the decal, I would cut them free and lay them on the engine. If there is excessive overlap, then cut it. Leave enough overlap though, so that you can "shrink" your decal, without having to worry about cutting it too short.
 #1092462  by acelaphillies

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll definitely pick up some reefer orange and platinum mist.

One of the things I like so much aboit the paint job on these locos is how the orange details pop out against the black. Engine black seems to look like a good color online but I don't want it to look to grey in person. Is engine black really dark black or does it have a little grey tint to it?

On a different note, does anyone have any other NJT projects that they are working on and could share pictures?
 #1092531  by Steve F45

engine black is black, no grey tint to it.

Can anyone tell me what kind of trucks are used on the NJT GP40PH-2b's, blomberg B or M?
 #1092553  by green_elite_cab

acelaphillies wrote:Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll definitely pick up some reefer orange and platinum mist.

One of the things I like so much aboit the paint job on these locos is how the orange details pop out against the black. Engine black seems to look like a good color online but I don't want it to look to grey in person. Is engine black really dark black or does it have a little grey tint to it?

On a different note, does anyone have any other NJT projects that they are working on and could share pictures?
Engine black is black. They probably only call it engine black to make it sound like a "railroad color", as opposed to just buying straight up black paint.

Engine black does go on dull, (it looks like fine grade black sand paper), which it may appear to be off-black, but if you give it a crystal or gloss coat, it turns ABSOLUTELY black.

Engine black is just fine for NJ Transit units, and it goes on better than using out-right gloss black paint.
 #1092675  by ApproachMedium

Steve F45 wrote:engine black is black, no grey tint to it.

Can anyone tell me what kind of trucks are used on the NJT GP40PH-2b's, blomberg B or M?
Look at photos not all are the same. The B truck is the one with 4 brake cyls per truck. The M truck only has two brake cyl. One per side and the shock absorber.
 #1092741  by Steve F45

ok the 4219 which im trying to model has 4 brake cylinders. But when I go looking for type b, they have what look like extra brake shoes on the outside of the trucks,
these trucks show what im talking about.
The prototype without them
There are a few -2b's that have 4 brake cylinders and a shock, almost like a b+m.
 #1092764  by ApproachMedium

You can just buy the pictured trucks and cut off the extra brake shoes.
 #1098501  by Steve F45

Does anyone have back issues of mainline modeler? Im trying to find an article that has a scale drawing of a NJ Transit GP40PH-2B in it. I've looked online and can't find anything and railpub only lists what they have in stock, not the content of the magazines.

anyone help me out?
 #1098502  by ApproachMedium

Steve F45 wrote:Does anyone have back issues of mainline modeler? Im trying to find an article that has a scale drawing of a NJ Transit GP40PH-2B in it. I've looked online and can't find anything and railpub only lists what they have in stock, not the content of the magazines.

anyone help me out?

Steve the club has them for sale. The swap meet is going on today you may find some there or come down one day and take a look. We also may have them in the library.
 #1098528  by Steve F45

im working till 7pm and wont be able to get down to the sale. If you could keep an eye out if possible i'de appreciate it.
 #1099391  by Steve F45

i haven't heard back from someone who may have sent the pic from mainline modeler to brian banna. But some also said that a december 2001 issue of RMC may have it.