Railroad Forums 

• Modeling NJT

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1013918  by Steve F45

green_elite_cab wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:Thanks. Did any of the U34CH's have hood mounted bells? I just bought 2 packs of DW ge hood mount bells.
nope. Gotta refer to prototype photos my friend, lol. You may have notived that the U34CH also lacks dynamic brakes, and so the vents on the side are wrong on the atlas model. it make sense to remove them if you can.
most of the proto photo's i've seen are roster shots that dont have a clear view of that side of hte hood to see if a bell was there. And yea i know about the DB's, they have been removed, sanded and puttied up. After priming the shell i still have more sanding to do on the DB sections as its not totally flat.
 #1014504  by green_elite_cab

have you tried RRpicturearchives?

there are tons of good U34CH photos out there. they are are all pretty much the same, apart from some minor paint variations.
 #1015071  by iggy44

Green Elite Cab-

What NJT decals did you use for the front of the PL42AC? I know the one in the set is "oversized".

Also, here is my contribution to the forum:
NJT 500
I even put the yellow compromise coupler on the plow.

#1015124  by ApproachMedium

Nice work. What did you use for the compromise coupler? Also the electrical MU cables probably would not have been left out, we usually store them in a cabnet one per engine until they are needed.
 #1015131  by iggy44

I used a knuckle from a Kadee scale coupler then painted it saftey yellow, not even close to the real thing, but it works. For the next project I'd like to model 503 with its "Square" cab.
 #1015183  by deandremouse

Beautiful SW1500. nearly forgot there is still one on property.
 #1015192  by green_elite_cab

iggy44 wrote:Green Elite Cab-

What NJT decals did you use for the front of the PL42AC? I know the one in the set is "oversized".

Also, here is my contribution to the forum:
NJT 500
I even put the yellow compromise coupler on the plow.
Very nice SW1500!

To answer youre questiom, i took it from microscale NJ transit coach set. its intended for cab car ends.
 #1015218  by ApproachMedium

deandremouse wrote:Beautiful SW1500. nearly forgot there is still one on property.
Not on the NJT rail side. Its on the light rail and I believe off the roster for the actual railroad.
 #1043733  by Mike@IHP

Mike@IHP wrote: If it's Arrow IIs you're looking for, we may finally be close to getting to them.

We have had Arrow II tooling done for a couple of years now and meant to do them awhile back, but time to do the kits became the limiting factor.

The body shells will be specific to the Arrow IIs, so the kits will have fewer parts. We used Arrow II drawings, photos and measurements to create probably the best models you'll ever get of them in HO (unless we someday did them in plastic! ;-) ).

IHP does has a lot of SEPTA work to do by the end of the year (Silverliner V display models, PCC-II trolleys, Silverliner IV restocks) so we will be focusing on that, but after that, you'll probably see some more noise from us about Arrow II kits. They will be limited in production, I can tell you that. Anyone who has our Arrow III kits knows that even a streamlined version of the kits is a job to produce.

Incidentally, IHP is now beginning to use CAD to develop our models. I do the CAD work myself and I'm getting pretty good at it. What do you think of this:

http://ihphobby.tripod.com/images/RDGRDC1.jpg

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com

I saw your post on the commuter modeler yahoo group! Very nice on the RDC. Probably would have responded earlier but my classes have me loosing my mind. Hopefully, there will be a pair of pairs with my name on it! Any chance on a ball park price?[/quote]

Hi Chris,

It seems you're right, Arrow IIs are off most peoples' radar now. A production run of kits seems unlikely. However, I have the tooling for custom-orders of kits from the older tooling (more parts!). If anyone is interested, contact me off line for a price of a 2-car kit set.

Thanks,

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com
 #1091660  by acelaphillies

Hey guys,
Does anyone have any recommendations on what paint colors to use for present-day NJT orange, grey, and black? I would assume a basic grey and black would work but I am looking for all of the colors to match the Island Modelworks NJT decals. Thanks for the help!
 #1091995  by green_elite_cab

acelaphillies wrote:Hey guys,
Does anyone have any recommendations on what paint colors to use for present-day NJT orange, grey, and black? I would assume a basic grey and black would work but I am looking for all of the colors to match the Island Modelworks NJT decals. Thanks for the help!
Well reefer Orange seems to be the closest orange. At the very least, it matches the microscale decal sheets. The NJ Transit decals by Herald decals are a darker orange, but not significantly.

by grey, I assume you mean Silver? Technically the locomotives are Platinum Mist.

Take your pick with black. Engine black will look wrong initially, but if you give it a crystal-coat, it looks about right. You'd need to put on a somewhat gloss finish to add the decals anyway.
 #1092055  by acelaphillies

I guess the more specific I am the better. I am looking to paint a NJT P40. IMO, the paint on those looks grey, but if you say it's platinum mist I believe you. I need a black for the roof, front, and underbody. And I need an orange that matches the stripe on the IMW decal sheet for detail parts such as the grab irons and steps. It sounds like well reefer orange would be a good match because IMW prints their decals through Microscale.
 #1092124  by green_elite_cab

acelaphillies wrote:I guess the more specific I am the better. I am looking to paint a NJT P40. IMO, the paint on those looks grey, but if you say it's platinum mist I believe you. I need a black for the roof, front, and underbody. And I need an orange that matches the stripe on the IMW decal sheet for detail parts such as the grab irons and steps. It sounds like well reefer orange would be a good match because IMW prints their decals through Microscale.

Those paints and those decals will defintiely match. I have all the decals for such a model myself, but I haven't been investing any additional time in current prototypes.

On the topic of the main body color, platinum mist is inherently grey. most paints one would classify as "Silver" are. It can be difficult to tell since silver paints also tend to reflect different light to some extent, and so their true color is not always evident. Platinum Mist is a more "dull" silver paint, and so thats why the locomotives appear grey (and don't forget some light weathering as well making the locomotive appear more so grey). the floquil/polly scale Platinum Mist matches this effect well.
 #1092168  by Steve F45

Use floquil Platinum mist and engine black. Gloss coat over it all, apply decals then use a semi-gloss and you good to go. Thats what i did for my p40.
 #1092204  by acelaphillies

Thanks both of you for weighing in.
Steve F45 wrote:Use floquil Platinum mist and engine black. Gloss coat over it all, apply decals then use a semi-gloss and you good to go. Thats what i did for my p40.
I saw your P40 #4800 and it looks good! Did you use reefer orange for the oragne like G.E.C. suggested? Also, do you have any other tips for modeling a NJT P40? You didn't wind up having to cut the long disco stripe decal did you?