Railroad Forums 

• Switching from HO to N

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#13617  by BillN

Otto,
Cannot go wrong with that Unitrack. Even though I have only been able to set up a small 3x6 temp layout just to run for an hour here and there, its been very reliable. Power routing turnouts are nice too. Can keep more than one loco on the track without problems.

Too bad I have to sell my Unitrack. Got a really great deal on some Tomix track, bridges, and switches galore. Tomix and Kato are not compatible and only have room for one type.

Ebay seems a hassle just for this. Happen to know anybody that might be interested in some Unitrack at a really good price? Would compliment the track in one of those Kato sets nicely.

:wink:

#13791  by F59 PHI

How Much? :-)

#14529  by N-railroader

Bill,

Why do you think that you have to sell your Unitrack?
Tomix and Kato might not interlock, but there is nothing a
fine saw couldn't fix! Part of MRR is using your tools and
imagination. I'm sure, you can make it work.

:wink:

#15543  by mainecentral

:D :D She LOVED the N scale starter set, and already has plans for her layout!!The SD-35 runs GREAT!, the 2-8-0 runs ok, but it has traction tires on the 3rd set of drivers - which makes the loco pivot up & down(all the weight is in the rear, so the front two sets of drivers DON'T touch the rails), causing the wheel flanges to climb up the rails, resulting in a derailment(even on straight track). I tried setting a .5oz weight on the front pilot, but that only helps half of the time :( , Any ideas on what I can do?? ALSO, the Atlas RS-11 I bought myself runs TERRIBLE!! It runs as if the two trucks are geared differently, because it jerks and sputters between 30% and 60% throttle, but runs decent at any higher speed(below 30% is even more frustrating as it stalls until you tap the table, then it will resume).NOT the track, it's been cleaned over and over. I doubt the controller is to blame, as the crappy, ugly little Alco is the only loco that has that issue. All three locos have been broken-in properly(various speeds and many starts & stops in both directions. about 2 hrs each) what can I do? Send it back to Atlas?
 #15708  by jmp883

Mainecentral,

Glad to hear she loved the starter set. As for your steamer wobbling I don't have any help to offer you on that one. The only steam engine I have is a Kato 2-8-2 Mikado and it tracks beautifully. I would try and find out if there are replacement wheels without the traction tire groove, but it might be more trouble than it might be worth to change them. As for your RS-11 operating erratically, my guess would be that you have an original version of that engine. An easy way to check for that is to look at the pilots. If there is a large gap to allow the truck mounted coupler to swing with the trucks, you have an early release. In the last few years Atlas has been re-releasing various models new and improved. These models have body-mounted Accu-Mate couplers (which are compatible with Micro-Trains couplers) closed pilots, and much better motors with flywheels. The bad news is that (to my knowledge) the RS-11 has not been one of the engines to be re-released. You can upgrade your current RS-11 by purchasing a pilot upgrade kit from Micro-Trains. This will allow you to body mount Micro-Trains or Accu-Mate couplers, remove the truck-mounted coupler, and close the large gap between the truck and the coupler. Talk to your local hobby shop or contact Atlas about repowering. I'm not sure if a new Atlas motor will fit on their older chassis. My RS-11 runs fairly well with the older motor, so I'm not in a rush to repower it just yet.

I know it wasn't the best news, but hopefully it'll get you headed in the right direction.

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL!

#20943  by Christian S.

I recently purchased a Atlas Rock Island GE U25B and a Model Power 4-6-2 Pacific. Any word on how these engines run?