Railroad Forums 

• Atlas sound!

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#93498  by stilson4283

I was able to take a look around at Springfield and got a chance to look at both the Broadway Limited SD 40 and the Atlas Dash 8. Hands down the Atlas was far superior. I will let you know now that I am going to get out and buy this model as soon as it comes out. It is an exciting time to model with all the great companies starting to come out with loco’s that are sound equip or sound ready.

They run great, they look great, they sound great!

Chris
 #93538  by Mike Roque

I agree. I also listened to them both at the show, and the the Atlas Dash 8-40CW:
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOLoco/hodash840cw.htm

...sounded WAY better than Broadway's SD40-2:
http://www.broadway-limited.com/products/sd4000.htm

I believe they're both equipped with similar/identical QSI sound, but the Atlas installation uses an angled pair of speakers instead of Broadway's single, downward-facing speaker (so I'm told), which contributes to the superior sound.

Besides the sound, the Atlas shell detail is also superior to Broadway's (Not to mention the working/flashing ditch lights!). So far, I've seen BLI's crappy early Hudson's (They looked good, but sound and operation was quite poor), their NW2s (Poor shell detail, no ops experience), and the SD40-2, and I'm really not impressed. With the new sound-equipped engines coming from Atlas and Proto 2000, BLI can keep their trains...
Last edited by Mike Roque on Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#93564  by CIOR

I have heard the sound clips placed on Atlasrr forum, very good.
but, both systems are made by QSI. The difference is the actual locomotive they used to record from. From what Rob at Atlas said, the GE's sound was taken from either a Dash8 or 9. No one has said where BLI got the SD40-2 sound from.
That leads to alot of raised eyebrowes. (if you know what I mean)

#93706  by ANDY117

Now all atlas has to do is make the D8-40CW in NS! I have never seen this done before.