Railroad Forums 

• Clearances for new Walthers Autoracks

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#92714  by Kevin B.

I was wondering if anyone has, or has seen any of Walthers new Autorack cars. I am interested to know how their height compares to other cars. I would like to add some of these cars to my fleet, but my layout has some height restrictions that will just let a loaded double stack car to go under. Given that restriction, will the Autoracks make it, or are they too tall? Thanks for your help.

P.S. I only have 22" curves, so will this also be a problem?

#92838  by trainiac

I don't have any autoracks, but I do know they are shorter in height than doublestacks. I'd be more concerned with the curves--I think 22" is the minimum for these cars. They'd also swing out pretty far on such a curve, so you'd have to watch your sideways clearances.

#94049  by green_elite_cab

i've got a walthers auotrack. it will take 22 curves, and its probably short enough. as mentioned before, double stacks are taller than Autoracks. i hear on soem distant forum that autoracks where liek 3 feet smaller than double stacks, but i could be wrong. i wouldn't worry about it, its a great model, just make sure you don't run it on anythign less then 22 radius curves, cause it will not stay on the rails. the couplers can't swing far enough.

chris