Railroad Forums 

• Intermountain announces NS Heritage scheme GEVO

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1077702  by timberley

Intermountain has thrown their hat into the NS heritage ring, by announcing that they will produce all of the Heritage GEVOs. They have also been clear they will modify the tooling to match the newest GEVO production as seen in the NS prototypes.

Here's the announcement:

http://www.intermountain-railway.com/re ... ES44AC.htm

Despite not being an NS modeler, I do love GEVOs and I think some of those schemes look fantastic. I may end up ordering the Conrail one just for fun, as I always loved the Conrail blue.

This announcement is also quite exciting because it means Intermountain is tooling the newest version of the GEVO. Since all new production (2011+) units are almost identical (cab door on other side, new stanchions, new radiator and rear end, ditch lights front and back, etc), Intermountain will now be able to offer any other road names on the new GEVO with minimal changes to tooling. The only one with the cab headlights is NS, so put the headlight down and they can do CSX, UP, BNSF (minor changes could make the C4 as well), CP, KCS, IAS, and even CN (no more unique variations on the later 2300 series, so it would be easier to do than the first generation CN GEVOs, which intermountain went to all the extra tooling work on anyway...plus, CN is now buying AC models).

With Athearn announcing that their GEVO release will be the early production model, and not being sure if they'll do the later versions yet (hence their heritage schemes on AC4400s), I think Intermountain has made a good move and capitalized on this market. They're also likely to be quite a bit cheaper than the Genesis models (if they ever do get done), and Intermountain has already proved they can do a nice job with the previous GEVOs.
 #1077715  by Backshophoss

Intermountain is entering a "cluttered" market on the NS Heritage units,but they are doing it right.
The added possible bonus of the Evo 44c4 is good news as well,BNSF modelers will snap them up.
ON BNSF the Evo 44c4's are front line power on most intermodel trains on the Transcon and as
occasional relief power on #3+#4 during the winter months when the snow flies in Kansas.
 #1078028  by timberley

It just makes so much sense for Intermountain to tool the new (2011-2012+) production model of the GEVO. Think about it:

-it allows them to do the NS heritage units, plus other modern NS units on the same tool

-Since GE is going to ever increased standardization in the prototype production, they won't have to do a bunch of road name specific details. They did a great job of this with the early production GEVOs, but the newest line will require hardly any tooling changes between models. All you need is two cabs (only difference being high or low light), and everything else is the same except for a few minor details like antenna choices, AC/DC differences, and the C4 mods. No need to tool several cabs, several rear ends, multiple hand rail styles, etc.

And soon I doubt they'll even need to do DC and AC versions. All the RRs are buying AC now (BNSF's C4 seems to have replaced the niche the DC units filled), even NS and CN, who have both been staunch DC users, have finally switched to orders for AC units.

For once the prototype is making it easier for the model manufacturers!
 #1078066  by deandremouse

lol I feel sorry for those people who went crazy bidding over those custom heritage units on EBay that went for 700+

There's going to be alot of heritage units available on shelves after the hype dies down a bit.
 #1078237  by Backshophoss

With all the "hype" about the NS units,it's no suprize the prices went to the SKY on E-bay,
will wait for the model's apperance on store shelf before spending $180- 250+ on 1 or 2 units.
Longmont Co is a 10 hr hike(+/-) from ABQ.