Railroad Forums 

• New AEM-7's would go perfect with Amfleet release

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1079530  by B44NYC

Unless of course someone were to offer AEM-7s in "Fantasy Schemes" such as PRR, DL&W, EL, NH, IC, PC, CN, GN, MILW, and RDG[/quote]

I am curious how well the Athearn F59PHI "Fantasy Schemes" sold. If they sold well, I wouldn't put it past others mfg. to try and do other "fantasy" locomotives.
Although I have to admit seeing an AEM-7 done up in Pennsy Tuscan red with matching Amfleets has some possibilities.....lol.
 #1079605  by Backshophoss

I know the "Fantasy" ATSF F-59phi's sold real quick when it appeared at the local hobby shop 1st time around,I think 1 of SP modelers
picked up the SP "Daylight" F-59phi. They would look ok pulling the BBD "sausage" type commuter coaches for TRE,NMRX,SCAX for
the fantasy ATSF unit, The fantasy SP unit for SCAX(Metrolink),and JPTX(Caltrain).
 #1080219  by peanut1

I put in a request for AEM7's through a hobby store that buys used trains back before memorial day of 2012. He got back to me saying that I have hope in recieving one in Phase V or the old Northeast direct color from 2000. I guess people are getting rid of these engines.
 #1080512  by acelaphillies

peanut1 wrote:Just set up an ebay account. Will try my luck at getting a Phase V or Northeast direct colored AEM7.
Those are definitely the two rarest phases on ebay. Sometimes you can go months without seeing a Phase V on ebay. Depending on the auction a used Phase V AEM-7's can go for way over MSRP. Other times there seem to be a few all listed at once or you may pay around or under MSRP for a brand new unit. I would recommend saving the search term "phase v aem-7" or something like that so that you will be notified when a new one is listed. Finally, the more patience you have the better deal you will get. Good luck!
 #1080807  by green_elite_cab

The Phase IV "Northeast Direct" aren't that hard to find. I was under the impression they weren't that populare to begin with. In fact, the prototype was only painted that way for a short time anyway (I think it was about three years between Phase III and Phase V, due to the different preferences of Amtrak's CEOs).

However, it is true that the most common appear to be the Phase III and MARC AEM7s.

I see SEPTA and Phase IV at about the same frequency.

Phase V is the next rarest

ALP44s in NJ transit are the most rare.
 #1081409  by acelaphillies

I just received a reply from Walthers after sending them an email ([email protected]). I first thanked them for bringing the new Amfleets to the market, suggested that they continue on to Phase IVb, then talked about how a re-release of AEM-7's would go perfect with the Amfleets and also suggested a partnership like Athearn and Walthers has with the Phase V P42's. If anyone is interested here is the reply I got back. If you would like to see a re-release of the HO AEM-7's and have not sent an email yet, I would encourage you to send emails to the Walthers and Atlas product development teams voicing your interest. Here is the email:

Dear Acelaphillies:

Walthers will share your interest in extending the phases of the re-tooled
Amfleets to include all phases especially the recent phase IVb. We were
pleased to learn you and other modelers are happy with re-tooled Amfleets.
Walthers also appreciates your suggestion regarding the possibility of
bringing the AEM-7's back to the market.

A copy of your email will be shared with our product development team.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to contact Walthers. Input and
suggestions are always appreciated.

Sincerely,

Name Removed
Wm.K.Walthers,Inc.
Customer Service
 #1081466  by green_elite_cab

acelaphillies wrote:I just received a reply from Walthers after sending them an email ([email protected]). I first thanked them for bringing the new Amfleets to the market, suggested that they continue on to Phase IVb, then talked about how a re-release of AEM-7's would go perfect with the Amfleets and also suggested a partnership like Athearn and Walthers has with the Phase V P42's. If anyone is interested here is the reply I got back. If you would like to see a re-release of the HO AEM-7's and have not sent an email yet, I would encourage you to send emails to the Walthers and Atlas product development teams voicing your interest. Here is the email:

Dear Acelaphillies:

Walthers will share your interest in extending the phases of the re-tooled
Amfleets to include all phases especially the recent phase IVb. We were
pleased to learn you and other modelers are happy with re-tooled Amfleets.
Walthers also appreciates your suggestion regarding the possibility of
bringing the AEM-7's back to the market.

A copy of your email will be shared with our product development team.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to contact Walthers. Input and
suggestions are always appreciated.

Sincerely,

Name Removed
Wm.K.Walthers,Inc.
Customer Service

Seems like the standard polite return email to me. I'm still not convinced that a new AEM7 is likely, I think a lot of us just wish there was a new run. Like I said over in the Model Railroader forums, High ebay prices don't necessarily mean increased demand.

I think if they were truly interested in re-running the AEM7, they might put out a pre-order offer. If not enough people preorder a model, then they don't run it. That way, The people who want one can get one, while Atlas doesn't have to take as much risk.

Asking people to commit is the only way to really prove that a new AEM7 run would be worth it.
 #1081655  by peanut1

Since joining ebay a few days ago I won my first action last night. Amtrak DCC equipped P42 diesel. Still keeping an eye on the AEM7's but at this point I will have to see how much the proce will go up as I'm currently winning on another listing =D I will also send an email to walthers for a new run of AEM's and amfleet cars in the other phases.
 #1098514  by ApproachMedium

Last Jan I sold an AEM-7 in the box used, for $100 in phase 3. I sold another Phase 3 one completed but dirty and played with for $80. People are def looking for these things. When I had the phase 5 units I was selling from a collection I purchased I had no problem getting $150 for them on ebay. Do I think a re-release would sell well? Probably only if it was done in NJT and Amtrak. They seem to be the only two roads that are popular with these models. The SEPTA and MARC units might as well be left to dust as they seem to be the ones nobody can get rid of.

I have people begging me for my ALP44s loaded with the lights and everything. As some of you may have seen before they are pretty impressive. The current price with my friends work included is about $300 for just the work, provided you supply the locomotive. If atlas was to try and replicate even half of what I did with my models they would be charging $300+ for the things. Mine have full strobes, markers, headlights and flashing ditch lights on both ends independently controlled.

The ALP44s may have left the scene recently but some should keep in mind that not many people want to model right this second. There are plenty of people that grew up with these motors rolling around the NEC and the M&E and would get one for a proper train. Now if there was only a good Comet car to go with them since walthers stopped selling that junk.
 #1118735  by green_elite_cab

My guess is that there are still to many AEM7s flying around to justify selling more. lately Ebay has had some people asking some ridiculously high prices (which I conceed could be debatable depending on the unit) for the AEM7s, and some of the associated commuter cars.

There never Isn't an AEM7 on Ebay, and there are many second hand AEM7s in hobby shop display cases. It may not be easy to come by the exact one you want, but they're out there.

Personally, I strongly suspect that the demand for AEM7s only appears high to some of us here because of the make up of these boards (lots of NEC fans on here). In the grand scheme of things, niche demand is high but the overal demand is low.

Except for some of the Phase V AEM7s and the NJT ALP44s, AEM7s that end up in hobby shops now usually sit for months, which give a big hint as to how much people REALLY want them. I seem to remember Approach Medium trying to unload another Phase III AEM7 for several months.
 #1118752  by ApproachMedium

I tried to unload my P3 AEM-7 for a while until I went to Springfield last Jan I had no problem selling that one and a very dirty (but complete) one for just 20 dollars less. I took 100 for the one that was in good shape in the box and 80 for the other. They sold within a few hours of being there with little effort and the customers did not even question my pricing they handed me money and took the engines.