Railroad Forums 

• "The best" model companies?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#88741  by Colorado GW

After almost 13 years of not being able to build or set up even a small model, and was not able to build a detailed model before that, I can finally start a railroad of my own.

I've been looking online at web sites and I was wondering which model companies make the better quality railroad engines and cars? And which model companies make the better buildings?

#88767  by Otto Vondrak

"The best" is a matter of opinion and personal preference. Not to mention that often as quality goes up, price goes up. However, paying more doesn't always mean you're getting more: you can buy a superdetailed, fully assembled boxcar from Kadee for about $29.00... or you can buy a kit with less detail from Athearn for a similar car for about $8.00. A highly detailed Atlas locomotive can be bought for $120-80, and regular "train set" quality locomotives can be had for about $20. Find yourself a good local hobby shop- one that is well stocked, and where there are people you can ask for advice regarding your purchases. Also feel free to ask your questions about specific equipment here... what are you modeling? what time period? what railroad?

If you are modeling HO or N scale, get yourself a Walther's catalog. They carry the full product line for many manufactuters, and most hobby shops can order their products for you. Not to mention their catalog is searchable online: www.walthers.com

-otto-

#88820  by CIOR

It will depend alot on what scale also.
I will stick with HO, because that is what I know best.
When it comes to all around performance and looks: Atlas "Master" series is top notch. You get both performance and looks, plus you get a dual mode decoder that allows you to run DC and DCC if you want.

Kato is top notch when it comes to mechanical. Their motors are proven, their gears are silent and maintenance is almost non-existant. They do however lack in detail. Most people consider it a given if they want Kato.

P2K (Life-Like) series is next, although alot of people complain about how slow they run, to me its more realistic. They are in between Atlas and Kato when it comes to apperance, good detail, but not the best. Their mechanism is solid too, alot like Atlas, but the slow running has left some do dislike them.

Athearn Genesis series are great when it comes to detail. They have far more detail then any other maker on the market that isn't brass. The story with the Genesis line is more a running issue. Taking what alot of said, these locomotives leave alot to be desired in running. If your a MR'er that is more worried about looks, then Genesis is it. If you want top notch runners then I wouldn't recommend Athearn.

When it comes down to price, Athearn blue box's are still the winner. Athearn brought a affordable option of model railroad to many. For this I will always say "Thanks Irv". By todays standards though, the Blue Box is still bottom of the list, but good enough for the beginner.

BACHMANN. I don't recommend even wasting your funds on this stuff. Like the basic Life-Like stuff, this is more aligned with Christmas gift trainsets of the 70's and 80's.
However, Bachmann and Life-Like have made monumental strides when it comes to steam locomotives. The Life-Like Heritage series are a great steamer, well worth the money (as they are a couple $$$) Bachmann also has a solid line of steamers from what I have been told.

Overall, I would have to say that ATLAS MASTERS wins hands down.
(and yes, I have owned all but a Bachmann Steam engine!)

#88830  by Chuck Walsh

Steam, diesel or both.
Steam easily runs into the hundreds.

Freight or passenger?
Top quality passengers start out at $24.00 to $55/$60.

Do you have a restricted budget?

The HO Walthers catalog is 1,000 + pages of goodies and can be overwhelming.

Be aware, we also have a few lemons.

#88835  by Wdobner

CIOR wrote:BACHMANN. I don't recommend even wasting your funds on this stuff. Like the basic Life-Like stuff, this is more aligned with Christmas gift trainsets of the 70's and 80's.
Yeah, but if you're out to model electric operations (not that there's many doing that) theres not much other choice these days. It's either the few Atlas boondoggle AEM7s and ALP44s remaining on Hobby Shop shelves, some hugely overpriced resin kits from a specialty manufacturer, or an Acela, a few E33s and some HHP-8s from Bachmann. Ok, so it's not historically proper, even if the E33s SHOULD still be running, but beggers can't be choosers. Right now I'm just glad that Bachmann is out there making these models now so hopefully when I finally get my little diorama built I can hit up hobby shops and flea markets and pick up a few nice pieces to pose on it.

Now, if Bachmann would do a Spectrum version of the E60CH in the 600 series, as the final 10 appeared just before they were shipped down to Bear Delaware, I'd be very pleased indeed. But an E44 variant of the E33 would be nice too. :)
 #88869  by stuart_iowa

i think everyone here has an idea as to what is the better model.
I am one of the rare people I think here I am not brand loyal. I own at least one of every brand some times own more then one brand.
if you want to run the locomotive out of the box and not have to add a pile of details and just want something to pull your trains.
i say athearn blue box , they are cheaper then most and have good drive units and some details to be added. personally own over 20 of these

P2K ( Life Like top of the line) very nice models lots of added details that might break off but sure look nice, runs wells , bit more costly but it might be worth it if you want the detail. own 2

Kato i have 3 of there models so far, more to come. lots of detail super quiet. really can pull but I have never tested mine in a train, only have a switch yard to run on. great models but costly.

Bachmann Spectrums ( top of the line Bachmann models) i have 4 of these. Somepeople hate them , i happen to like mine, never had any trouble with my 4 models and other say they die quickly. they are basic models that need to have details added to make them more realistic but I like mine right out of the box.

Athearn Genesis i do not own any of these yet, so have no opinion on them yet, I will let you know what i think when I get one.

the locomotives you seen in the stores that go with the sets, the palin life like, bachmann, model power, they are toys and very easy on the pocket book till you realize that you are replacing them as they do tend to burn out or fall apart. if that is all you can afford for now, open an ebay account or go to the train shows in your area and buy the better models used. if you shop around you will find better models used for the same price or cheaper then the basic models offered.

look for models with fly wheel drive, all wheel pick up and drive. metal frames.

just my thoughts
stuart
 #88942  by Chuck Walsh

stuart_iowa wrote:i think everyone here has an idea as to what is the better model.

i say athearn blue box , they are cheaper then most and have good drive units and some details to be added. personally own over 20 of these

P2K ( Life Like top of the line) very nice models lots ofquiet.

look for models with fly wheel drive, all wheel pick up and drive. metal frames.

just my thoughts
stuart
There's merit to the P1K series, cheap too.
 #88970  by jmp883

Colorado GW,

Since you didn't state scale and HO has been pretty well covered I'll advise you of N, in case that's your scale.

Kato, Atlas, and Life-Like all have excellent running and detailed locomotives. I prefer Atlas first, then Kato, then LL.

When it comes to rolling stock it's Micro-Trains hands down, followed closely by Atlas, Inter-Mountain, and Red Caboose.

The best suggestion was offered in Otto's post. Get yourself a Walthers catalog and talk to your hobbyshop staff. Also, if there any customers in the shop when you are there, talk to them as well. I have yet to meet a customer of a hobby shop who hasn't been willing to stop for a minute and talk about the hobby.

Hope all this information helps!
It's a great hobby!

Joe P :-D
 #89161  by Colorado GW

Going to do a HO scale 30s/40s layout.

#89271  by WANF-11--->Chaser

My pick for best manufacturer.

Atlas.

Ever since I started way back in 1986 Atlas has been a manufacturer of quality products. Way before Athearn's Hi qual line, Proto2k, etc.

I never have buyers remorse when I bring home an Atlas product. :o)

I have 4 of their new tank cars, an RS-11 (first run 1987?), A C-425 from 1986, and an S-2 from 1986. I also have two of their international cabooses.

All fine quality.

#89624  by Camelback

For an HO scale 30's to 40's layout -- late steam, diesel -- here is my opinion on what is out there at what price. It also depends on who is going to use the layout -- kids, etc... -- and the minimum radius. Those UP Challengers and Big Boys sure look great on large layouts but on a 4 by 8 with 22 inch and 18 inch radius' they will look kind of silly.

Anyhow, for steam engines, my experience is that IHC and Mantua are the only ones which list for less than $100 that are worth buying. Of those two brands, Mantua is better both in terms of detail and reliability. From what I've read, Mantua is the preferred choice for museums where the trains run all day everyday. No, your train won't have those kind of operating conditions but it is nice to know that if it had to your locomotive could withstand those conditions. Also, Riverossi -- which has a higher list price but can be found for less than $100 at places like Trainworld -- aren't bad either.

When you get into the next range -- $125 to $250 -- you are dealing with a high level of detail without sound and DCC. Lifelike and Bachmann make a pretty good product. These companies do their best work for steam locos in this price range. I don't have much experience with this price range. I find that if I wait a few more weeks I'll have enough extra money for the next price level.

The next level -- $350 to $550 -- you are dealing with high quality motors, highly detailed locomotives equipped with DCC (or some other command control system) and sound. In HO Broadway Limited has a wide selection and outstanding quality. Trix is another company to look at. Athearn, Lionel and Mike's Train House have recently entered this market. They do not yet have the selection of Broadway and Trix but the products have gotten good reviews on various bulletin boards. (Take magazine reviews with a grain of salt. The editors do not want to upset potential advertisers by posting bad reviews.) Shop around for locomotives in this category. Retail prices can vary by as much as $100 for the same locomotive depending on the store.

If you really want to spend lots of money then brass is the way to go. The bad news is that a brass steam loco will cost more than $1,000. The good news is that it will only appreciate in value (unless it falls off your layout and onto the basement floor.)

#91624  by Mike@IHP

Wdobner wrote:
CIOR wrote:BACHMANN. I don't recommend even wasting your funds on this stuff. Like the basic Life-Like stuff, this is more aligned with Christmas gift trainsets of the 70's and 80's.
Yeah, but if you're out to model electric operations (not that there's many doing that) theres not much other choice these days. It's either the few Atlas boondoggle AEM7s and ALP44s remaining on Hobby Shop shelves, some hugely overpriced resin kits from a specialty manufacturer,
Yet another ignorant person.......sorry about this, Otto, but.....

I'm sorry to say that the high prices are YOUR fault, not IHP's. If there were more people willing to buy the models, IHP could make more at a lower price. The whiners like you do not like to hear this, I know. You think you know the industry and the market better than someone who actually works in it, produces products for it, and has done so for twelve years.

Let me set the record straight for the folks here: There are comparatively few people who like to model electric and subway operations. That's why there aren't many models for those people. That's why the likes of Bachmann and Athearn will not produce these kinds of models. That's why the likes of IHP, MTS, Images Replicas and Q-Car have stepped in and produced them on their own. FOR YOU! But, production costs for these models are so high and the market so small that....well, it's simple Macroeconomics 101. Small Market + Small production quantity = Higher Prices. Only a business that didn't want to stay in business would think you could then get away with charging $20 for something you paid $18 for just because they thought they would sell more. Our prices are higher and we are still in business- all four of us- because we KNOW the marketplace and what it takes to survive as a business.

IHP produces a large variety of commuter and transit products in small quantities. Look at our website and see what we have done and have planned for you. IHP targets the transit modelers specifically. Most of our models have never been produced commercially before and most are not likely to be. IHP products are not half-assed blobs- they are handmade, limited-run, accurate, detailed, painstakingly-researched, well proportioned reproductions of actual vehicles for the discriminating modeler and collector. If you cannot afford the necessarily high prices, don't blame IHP. You wanted electric commuter and transit models; we're making what you asked for; you are just unwilling to pay the admission fee to have the models you asked for. IHP is simply responding to the market that is out there. Your personal budget is not our problem, so stop bitching at IHP because you can't afford the product. It's YOUR fault you're unhappy with IHP.

By the way, Silverliner III kits are on their way now, so SEPTA modelers now have another choice in HO scale, and these are licensed by SEPTA and ONLY from IHP.

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com

#91775  by CIOR

Mike,
Your name calling was totally unwarranted! Plain and simple.
What was stated, was the lack of large manufacturers to produce "quality and affordable" products to a sometimes small group.
The fact that you are willing to belittle someone for a basic "blanket statement" shows a willing disreguard for forum members in general.
The statements made in the quoted post never once mentioned your company that I could see. There are alot of "resin" makers out there!

On another note....
If you are going to be in the manufacture/produce/sell market place, you had better get a tougher skin then what you currently have. If you can not discuss an issue without name calling, then your going no where.
Do I know "Wdobner"? Nope, never met them.

Had you conducted yourself in more a general nature and not flamed, your post might have been well received, HOWEVER you did not.

I hate to say this, but you have shed nothing more then bad light upon your business.
 #91870  by stuart_iowa

This is not what the guy asked about. He asked for names of companies that made what the person thought were good products. Instead of trashing a person here, why not state your case for the product your pitching in a calm matter, state your facts and opinion in a more cooler way, you might swing a few more interested future clients. I do not know anything about resin models, or casting I do realize that specially reproduced models are time consuming and costly to make . I would expect to pay more money for a Canadian National gp 40-2w, after all how many railroads other then CN had them , not many till CN sold them off. If I wanted a good HO scale model of that locomotive I know I am going to pay big bucks for in brass or resin. As a person looking for a company to reproduce scale models down the road I see that your temper and your lack not being able to explain yourself in a more business like manner I would not be wanting to do business with you any time soon.

You will have to admit for some people out there your special line of resin models are not a very realistic purchase. I am out of the box put on the track and run kind of guy. I do not see myself ever spending that kind of money on a model that i would have to paint, buy running grear for, and have to put together, I admit I am not good with models. So your models are not something I would purchase. I could buy at least 2 blue box specials, or spectrums or p2k on ebay for the price of any one resin kit. I do admire those out there who buy the kits, build them and paint them. I take my hat off and say wow nice model.

So state your case and not resort to bashing, I think you have taken the bait again and let your ego get in the way of your business sense. Not only that but upate your website, says some of your products are due out in 2004 , it is now 2005, even say they are released or if they are still on waiting

just my person thoughts
stuart

#91919  by ANDY117

I have Mostly Athearn Blue box models, An Athearn Genesis CN SD70I, and a P2k SD60M. Im just hoping those new athearn Dash 9s have sound!