Railroad Forums 

• Do You Get Made Fun Of?

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#156210  by AznSumtinSumtin

You just can't imagine how many people make fun of me because I like trains... almost everyone except the nerds and teachers.

#156352  by Fittleworthgirl

I am a girl, i.e the username, and I attend an all girl's school in London. I have always been interested in railways, and in recent years have started building a layout with my dad. Until recently my hobby was kept in the quiet, however unfortunately for me the layout competition I entered posted my name with my layout ideas, and further publicity meant that my friends slowly found out about it.

For the first few days they teased but most of them were interested in the modelling I have done. After the initial disapproval and laughter, they realised it didn't really affect me and then people started asking about it.

I found it rather amusing really, walking into the IT rooms and all my class sitting their with my layout on their screen.

I think all the bullies out there, bully through ignorance. There is no way they could understand the intricate technology used in locos so they just laugh at it and at all those who do understand.

Fittleworthgirl

#156873  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey guys (and gals) don't let the folks who "don't understand" this thing, get to you. I have always loved trains, and I even started a model railroad club, in Columbia Junior High, Berkeley Heights, NJ, back when I was a student there. I got some hassles, from the so called "cool" kids, but I held my ground. Our club got up to around 15 guys in it, plus the teacher, who ran it, after school. Most of those "cool" kids ended up as losers, with poor jobs, lousy homelifes, etc. Me, I ended up as an engineer, and I have never looked back, on the "non-believers". Do what you like (as long as it's legal), and enjoy a hobby that is highly enjoyable, while mis-understood by most, at the same time. Most railfans I have known, ended up with decent jobs, families, lives, etc. A bunch of them even end up with railroad jobs. (Don't believe the guys who work for the railroad, who say "it;s just a job", they really like the trains too, but are embarassed to admit it) Be safe out there, and don't let anyone "rain on your parade". Regards :wink:

#161149  by sullivan1985

I used to get made fun of as a little kid till about 6th or 7th grade, but whatever, kids are stupid like that.

Now that I have been hired by NJT as an assistant conductor, I would love to see who's laughing now. I'm 19 with a better and way more secure job then any of them will probably ever have if not for a long time.

If someone makes fun of you, who cares. I've noticed that most of the kids that used to make fun of me for my hobby are no addicted to something or have been arrested for a bunch of stupid things. I guess the railroad saved me :-)

#170645  by oddball

i get made fun of a lil bit by my girlfriend and others occaisionaly, but never really serious because they know im trying to get a job on the railroad, and theyre all smart enough to know its a very good job..i told them all that my hobby will get me paid one day, but even if it didnt, i wouldnt be ashamed! plus my car is a lowrider with hydraulics so most people associate me with my car around here and no one really says anything to me about trains.

#204267  by M&Eman

I just sorta lay low. I don't deny it, but I don't advertize it either. I only answer when I am asked. Publicly, I'm a guitar playing history buff. So far, only a few of my friends know. One of them is a car addict, so we sort of share similar interests. As for girls, to them, I'm the stong, silent, artistic photographer who does the pics for the school newspaper and wears a black turtleneck (chicks dig turtlenecks). At heart I'm ap hotographer. Trains are just one of the things I like to photograph.

#204374  by Engineer James

Yes...

I am in the same boat. Im 16, and I am being critized by parents and pupils. I have always wanted to be an engineer.

See "Am I crazy", "Parents and Consequences", and "Well..." in this forum.

Best of luck... ENJ

#204785  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Dont go on and on, about how SD40-2 are better the Sd45's...

When someone asks me what Im into I say "hot rods, model trains and girls" and the normal response is cool.

You may want to be an engineer, now, but I doubt you will be once you see what all is involved, not just hop in the cab and drive away.

#205437  by Bay Head Local

My friends and my 2 brothers make fun of me but not in a mean sense they just make a smart remark every once n a while ( which is kinda ironic since im the first one they call whenever they need help with getting from point A to point B via the LIRR or NJT............and during major service disruptions sometimes they call me telling me that their parents need my help with getting somewhere!) other than that no one else really knows except my family and they support me on it.

#242061  by justinking

All of my friends (family is more like it) never make fun of me for it. they all think its pretty cool. One of my friends even drew a tattoo I'm getting of a Western Maryland B2 pulling a coal train on my upper arm. My friends are all amazing people so that ,might have something to do with it. They even come out and fan with me some, as long as we go to a nice place that we can hang out and play catch while I wait for the trains.

#243574  by Guilford Guy

Ya I do
Not as much as last year but I dont relally care
All the people who do are like thugs

#244502  by NYSW13000

Guilford Guy wrote:Ya I do
Not as much as last year but I dont relally care
All the people who do are like thugs
When I was in 3rd grade and below I was made fun of a little. But when I got older/taller etc., I never get teased anymore.

#247367  by Engineer James

Yes, Very much. Just on a recent trip to Washington DC with my ROTC group.... I was told not to droole on the Acela.... great time though... best train watching spot: Parking Garage, 2nd Level, you can see all the way down to the curve before the station....

#247624  by njtmnrrbuff

that's a great area to photograph. However, since 9-11, one might be questioned about that.

#247700  by Engineer James

No one asked! Walked right out to the MARC trains... no questions asked.