Railroad Forums 

• Do You Get Made Fun Of?

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#741220  by southern sec. kid

i really dont get made fun of im in the 8th grade and all the GOOD lookin girls know i like trains and they could care less but when its thursday of friday night and my friends want me to hang out and i got a local to chase they get a little mad. But most of the time ill take em with me than go where ever we were goin to go :-) one of my friends thought they were just big loud machines now he goes out with his father railfanning at his dads old house in Roselle!
 #742607  by NYCTrainFan

It happens to me sometimes, but it's not a widely known fact that I'm a railfan.
 #746449  by CSXTfan

Well my sister thinks its weird and sais its creepy how i get "turned" on by trains.
Their have been several occations wher im like "hay look i think thats a trash train" "Oh nice AEM-7 on that reginal"
or "boy that was the longest coal drag iv seen" With her just starring at me with a "creeped out" sort of face. :P

Re:

#746683  by CSXTfan

GN_RS-3 wrote:Being a 17 year old, junior in High school, I can tell you, if your not into drugs or skateboarding, your an outcast. I dont see how rolling arround on a piece of plywood, breaking your arms is fun. As far as the "Uh...Videogames" I can totally relate, those people are wasting their time. I will admit, I have one pc game I play, on rainy days when I cant run my outdoor model railroad. The truth is, the popular kids, will ammount to nothing. They are too distracted with being popular, to even care about grades. About 20 years from now, you'll run into the class clown, in a bar, talking about "the good old days" when now, he works at a gas station, pumping gas for 6.00 an hour.

another thing I'll tell you, chicks dig a guy who can weld :)
Whats weld? im kinda inrested in it now somewon tell me whats weld??!? :-D
 #747844  by ns3010

CSXTfan wrote:
GN_RS-3 wrote:Being a 17 year old, junior in High school, I can tell you, if your not into drugs or skateboarding, your an outcast. I dont see how rolling arround on a piece of plywood, breaking your arms is fun. As far as the "Uh...Videogames" I can totally relate, those people are wasting their time. I will admit, I have one pc game I play, on rainy days when I cant run my outdoor model railroad. The truth is, the popular kids, will ammount to nothing. They are too distracted with being popular, to even care about grades. About 20 years from now, you'll run into the class clown, in a bar, talking about "the good old days" when now, he works at a gas station, pumping gas for 6.00 an hour.

another thing I'll tell you, chicks dig a guy who can weld :)
Whats weld? im kinda inrested in it now somewon tell me whats weld??!? :-D
Like welding, as in when you connect two pieces of metal
 #747920  by Otto Vondrak

CSXTfan wrote:Well my sister thinks its weird and sais its creepy how i get "turned" on by trains.
Remember: There's a time and a place for everything. Maybe your sister doesn't like your hobby, you two should find something else to talk about. She obviously doesn't care about trains, but I bet there's other things you two have in common.
 #748340  by ErieLimited2914

All of my close friends find it incredibly cool that I volunteer my weekends working on restoring URHS equipment in the West Boonton Yard, and on multiple Santa and Easter trains. In fact, I had a few of them come with me on a Santa train last weekend and dress up as characters. They also think my 1.5" scale and O gauge trains are really cool too. I also have my second floor of my garage full of artifacts and O gauge layout, and the bottom is my shop. I don't show them it in a condescending tone like "look how much more I know than you", but in a way of "hey check this out" kind of way. Of course they make fun of me for it a little bit, but then again, obviously I am a dork, but at least I have a blast doing it!
 #756121  by Gunsnclapton

Oh Please, I got picked on for almost my whole life because of being into trains. Everybody made fun of me...Until...I brought them over to see them. I have an extensive HO layout in my basement, An O Gauge layout suspended from my ceiling, numerous pieces of HOn3 rolling stock (still need practice on handlaying switches with such small rail), and on top of that, a Garden Railroad. Now when my friends come over, the first thing they ask to do is see my basement full of trains. I don't really get bothered about it anymore, but that might just be because my main hobby right now is playing music. But if you look at it, there were a lot of musicians influenced by railroads so I guess the two kinda go together. Something about that clickity clack kinda gets your inner musician aroused.
 #765982  by ckwwestshore

Many, many people in my class of 350 (7th grade) know I'm a fan. Some don't comment, some are cool with it, or intrigued, however particularly recently have teased a bit. Nothing too cruel, but enough to make me feel a bit ticked. Either way, I could care.
 #766166  by daylight4449

ErieLimited2914 wrote:All of my close friends find it incredibly cool that I volunteer my weekends working on restoring URHS equipment in the West Boonton Yard, and on multiple Santa and Easter trains. In fact, I had a few of them come with me on a Santa train last weekend and dress up as characters. They also think my 1.5" scale and O gauge trains are really cool too. I also have my second floor of my garage full of artifacts and O gauge layout, and the bottom is my shop. I don't show them it in a condescending tone like "look how much more I know than you", but in a way of "hey check this out" kind of way. Of course they make fun of me for it a little bit, but then again, obviously I am a dork, but at least I have a blast doing it!
well in a more private situation and a basement full of trains, most people will want to see the trains first hand
 #776016  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:Just checking in to see if there's anyone I can make fun of in here...
well, good luck otto, as i believe this can be ignored
 #776496  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Just checking in to see if there's anyone I can make fun of in here...
well, good luck otto, as i believe this can be ignored
In all honestly, you should ignore anyone making fun of you.

But if people are making fun of you because of your interest in trains... That might be a signal that you want to tone it down a bit. And that pretty much goes for anything in life.

-otto-
 #776761  by ns3010

Chill man. Just be glad Otto gives us a place to hang out here
Just as easily as he can make fun of us, he can lock us out too...