live steam and stuff

A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

gearhead426

live steam and stuff

Post by gearhead426 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:29 am

rescently i begged my dad to drag me out to a live steam club in massacutecs. this club was pretty big, 5 or 6 trains of about 7 inch gauge were driving around and you could ride on the cars. some of the engineeres had desil locomotives with a brigs and stratton motor in the cab. the steamers were amazing. i love the smell of coal. there was a steel bridge that went over your head, and probably a mile of track in all. il post the name of the club if i can remember it. it was valley railroad steamers or something.
after the trains, my dad needed some avaition action. after watching some jets take off from behind the fence, i spotted a 25 ton switcher on a siding. there was some tank cars next to the airoprt(presumably for fuel) and some wharehouse-ish building with some box cars. the builders plate said 1949 or something like that. cute isnt a word i like to use a lot, but its a good way to describe the 25tonner.
GEARHEAD426

Steam

Post by Steam » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:41 am

Are you referring to the Pioneer Valley Live Steamers in Southwick, Mass.?

There's another great live steam group in Holliston, Mass. They call themselves the Waushakum Live Steamers. They have a fabulous track layout with 7-1/4", 4-3/4" and 3-1/2" gauges. The latter two are on elevated trestlework so you sit on flatcars with your legs hanging over the inside. Both these clubs have websites you can Google!

Live steam is a great hobby, but it is being slowly invaded by gasoline/battery powered trains which are not nearly as challenging or as much fun as steam.

But check it ou!

gearhead426

Post by gearhead426 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:02 pm

yes it was the pioneer valley club.
my schools drafting teacher, who builds live steam locomotives, got me into it.
GEARHEAD426

Return to “Teen Railroad Enthusiasts”