What is your favorite spot to train watch at?

A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

NYSW13000

Post by NYSW13000 » Mon May 01, 2006 6:29 am

Cresson, Pennsylvania on the NS Pittsburgh Sub. That will always be number 1 in my book.

Engineer James

Post by Engineer James » Mon May 01, 2006 10:16 am

Saline Hill. Man, seeing the CSX and CP action. BEA utiful

justinking

Post by justinking » Tue May 02, 2006 10:35 am

Harpers Ferry West VA. Great scenery and a good number of both freight and passenger. Plus a good bike trail for a little break from the trains

stevo

Post by stevo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:09 pm

mineola ny
lots of lirr action

south station, boston
basically a lot of MBTA and a little less Amtrak

Horseshoe curve
lots of freight

silverliner266

Post by silverliner266 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:07 pm

I live near Philly so,
1.30th street station, amtrak, septa, NJT atlantic coast, high line and the old B&O tracks now CSX and many good vantage points like partking garages make this place great
2. trenton, lots of NJT and amtrak
3. Cornwells hights like trenton but closer to home, no NJT but Setpa
4. West Trenton, a good amount of Frieght, and septa. easy to get to because I live close to that line
Philadelphia "America's Next Great City."

gprimr1

Post by gprimr1 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:47 pm

Mount Washington Station (an abandoned station in Baltimore used by the B&O's Blue Commit, now used as a art studio by MICA). This is the CSX Main to Philadelphia and to the Port of Baltimore.

Landsdowne near Route 1. This is the CSX Main to Washington DC and from the Port of Baltimore. Some MARC activity on this line as well.
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale

alex45

Post by alex45 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:29 pm

A street next to the Providence Station. The station is Amtrak and MBTA. And yes, the Acela express does run thru there.

Here is a link of a view of what is looks like.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tUzCCqecM6U

Darien Red Sox

Re: What is your favorite spot to train watch at?

Post by Darien Red Sox » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:40 am

Stamford, CT Lots of action hear.
Want to check out more places
Some people complain about the traffic on I95, If you have a problem with traffic and the rails go where you are going, TAKE THE TRAIN!!!

Darien Red Sox

Post by Darien Red Sox » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:32 am

Was up in Peekskill, NY this weekend and got some rail fanning in. This station is active with both Amtraks and Metro Norths
Some people complain about the traffic on I95, If you have a problem with traffic and the rails go where you are going, TAKE THE TRAIN!!!

thomas81z

Post by thomas81z » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:11 am

well i go with my dad,and rockingham junction in newmarket new hampshire,its pan am, downeaster,and new hampshire northcoast gravel trains.

atsf sp

Post by atsf sp » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:15 pm

My most visited spot is Beacon Park in Boston, but of all time it is either Scottsbluff, NE on the UP transcon, or Alliance, NE at the BNSF facility.
"Why would you take a train to go see another train?"
Some people just don't understand.
My Photos

trainutjob

Post by trainutjob » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:03 am

Woodbourne Station,Pa(CSX Trenton Line)
Cornwell Heights,Pa(Amtrak NEC)

SEPTAR3kid

Post by SEPTAR3kid » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Anywhere along the Mainline/Keystone Corridor or Hershey, Pa along the NS Harrisburg line.

ErieLimited2914

Post by ErieLimited2914 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:36 am

In the Spring, Summer and early fall I ride to the Lincoln Park station on my bike. I always tell myself I'm only going to come home with a few spikes and I always kind up with 60 lbs. of them in a backpack on my bike rack. Trains only go thru every hour/45 mins but its a neat place to look around. In my adventures there, in a 2 mile span, I found 6 foundations for signal bridges when it used to be a 4 track main when the Erie Lackawanna operated it from Mt. View Wayne to Boonton, NJ.

The other closest main I live to is the NYS&W River Line in Butler, NJ but only a hand full of trains go thru there now since its only one track from Little Ferry to Binghamton now, including the Starucca Viaduct. But it hasn't stopped me so far. I also ride to Ridgefield Park to CP 5 occasionally to watch CSX Florida/Chicago trains, and the NYS&W SU-99 and SU-100. GREAT photo location for CSX because trains come at speeds of about 50-79 mph around a sweeping curve, perfect telephoto shot location. But somebody owns the train station there, so I ask if anyone does go to there, please be respectful. They have been very cooperative and respectful of railfans going train watching.
MP the Mechanical E

Chessie GM50

Post by Chessie GM50 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Raritan, NJ. See here.

Return to “Teen Railroad Enthusiasts”