Railroad Forums 

• How close do you live to the tracks?

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#365504  by stevo

if amtrak puts in the boston-montreal route that they've talked about for years it would go by the end of my street.

#366000  by alex45

stevo wrote:if amtrak puts in the boston-montreal route that they've talked about for years it would go by the end of my street.
I dont think there has been a lot of discussion about making that route yet. But it would be a good idea!

#366605  by stevo

it's one of the government's proposed "high-speed corridors." yeah, the only one of those 11 that actually is high speed is the northeast corridor, and most of that was done before the government proposed it. i seriously doubt amtrak will ever run there. MBTA, yes, but amtrak, no.

#366982  by alex45

Correct

#372529  by scotty269

Where I used to live, there were CSX tracks behind my condo. I used to watch the juice train going through every once in awhile. I loved the trains that shook the entire building at 2am! Now, I live about a mile or two away in a single home. I take the BSL subway to Fern Rock, and then the R3 to bethayers. Its a good 20 min walk up some steep hills to my house, or a few minute drive.

#383995  by alex45

my aunts house is right next to the Sharon Station in Mass. the acela's wizz by her at 135mph!!

#384019  by pennsy

Hi All,

A good buddy of mine once had an apartment for himself and his family that was a gift from his father-in-law, the owner of the apartment building. It was in Far Rockaway, NY, so the IND subway, elevated at that point, went right by the windows of his apartment. I remember looking out of the window, on the third floor, and waving to the train passengers that were also looking out of their windows. If I opened the window to the apartment, and the window of the IND was open, we could have slapped hands with the passengers. The train took a curve right at his house. With the window closed, you could still hear the train going by, the house, solid brick building about five stories high, did not budge. But, as he told me, until I have enough money to buy my own house this will do fine, since it is free to me. Took him about three years living there to get the cash for a house downpayment. Can anyone get closer than that ???

#384183  by N. Todd

Mére's best friend (also my [x]gf's [~ex] step-mom) has this knack for living near trains... 1/2 mile from the BNSF Columbia River bridge, then alongside the former SP&S main, then across the street from UP's main line, and now 1/4 mile from what used to be Portland Traction Co. rails... Oddly enough I've moved in two of those. Nice to live by trains.

#384341  by stevo

my street used to be the loop for the nashua trolleys and the tracks at the end of my street used to be a busy, at least double track line to montreal and boston, with a small yard at the end of my street for a tie plant. all that's left now is one main line track, part of a siding left in the woods, the tie plant, and a big open field.

#384600  by alex45

sounds fun :P

#384749  by stevo

not anymore. 80 years ago, yes.

#389748  by starwardude

Within bike-riding distance of the Metro North former-New Haven mainline. Once I figure out how to post pictures on here I'll show some of what I normally see. (In the supposedly nerdy shop @ school = how can't I figure out how to put a picture on a web site?)

#390338  by stevo

go to photobucket.com and upload the pictures there. highlight the IMG code and copy paste it into your post.

#396035  by SubaruWRX

I'm not a teenager but I live about 500Ft away from the tracks and from my front window I can see the Metro North trains and Amtrak pass daily.

I just wish the trees did not block half the view.

#396286  by stevo

what line and where?