Railroad Forums 

• Favorite Railroads & Locomotives

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#481481  by AFR

Hello all!
I´m new here.
So I start saying "hello" and telling a bit of mine.

I live in Vienna, Austria. So please don´t be so strikt, normally I speak German. I´m interested in US-trains because they are so big compared to "our" European trains. E.g. here in Europe, there are no (freight)trains longer than ~30 wagons, and the locomotives haven´t that power and that size like it is in USA.
I like my home railroad, the Austrian Federal Railroad (AFR) :-D (in German: ÖBB - Österreichische Bundesbahnen) and it´s rolling stock most of all, but my favourite American locos are:

diesel: Dash 9 (BNSF)
steam locos: "Challenger" (UP)
electric: GG1 (I think from Pennsylvania RR)

#481557  by stevo

welcome aboard!

good job naming your favorite american locos, i can't name one european loco, let alone pick a favorite.

and yes, the GG1 is originally from the pennsylvania railroad. i'd have to put that as my favorite electric as well.

you don't have bad english for a german speaker, i'd say...the only one i had a little trouble with was the german name of the AFR!! my mom grew up speaking german though, so i managed to get my tongue around probably a rather butchered version of the pronunciation.

#488191  by Anthony RMLI

Railroads: Strasburg RR, LIRR, Hew Hope and Ivyland RR, Black River and Western RR

Engines: 2-10-0, 4-8-0, 2-6-0, 0-6-0, 4-6-0, 2-8-0, DE30 GP-9 and GP38-2

#524262  by nycrailfan

Growing up in New York, my favorite railroad is Conrail. My first train was seen in Congers, NY on Conrail's River Line. Too bad it was split between CSX and NS. To me, Conrail was the only railroad that adored railfans. When I went train watching in North Bergen Yard, NJ, the employees gave me hats and fliers. They let my father and I get close to the locomotives and the facility. That will never happen now. (GOOD TIMES!) My favorite diesel engine will have to be the SD40-2 and my favorite steam engine will have to be the Hudson.
 #527597  by 44 tonner

#7470 wrote:I'm more of a preservation RR enthusiest. My favorite RR is definately the Conway Scenic Railroad. My favorite locomotives are the CN 7470 steam locomotive, the 501 steamer, 573 GP-7, and the Alco S4 #1055, all from the Conway Scenic.

I would have to agree on that but add #15 and the twins in there. :-D
 #537411  by Amtrak7

Good railroads-BNSF, LIRR, NJT, AMTK, CP, CN
Good locos-ES44AC, ES44DC, GE-9-44CW, P42, AEM7, PL42AC, P32AC-DM, ALP-46

Bad railroads-UP, MNCRR, CSXT
Bad locos- F9, F40 (all variants), switch locos

I know my views are contradictory!
 #553810  by atsf sp

Favorite Railroad today: BNSF
Favorite Railroad: ATSF
Favorite Engines: P42, SD45, AC6000CW, ATSF F7 347C, SP GS-4 4-8-4
Last edited by atsf sp on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #647802  by kalvingp30fan

Favorite Railroads - Conrail, Penn Central, Milwaukee Road
Favorite Locomotives diesel - SD80MAC, GP30, RS 27, U25B, and anything Baldwin :-D
Favorite Electrics - GG1, E44, Little Joe, E60's