Railroad Forums 

• Future Railroad Employees

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#34755  by bar358

I am a sophomore at Maine Maritime Academy this year in their Marine Systems Engineering program. I have always had a strong liking for the RR's and would like to work on a regional part time after I get out of school, while not on a 6 month hitch shipping out.

Matt

Now back in the USA until next summer.

#45517  by MBTA1

Well I don't know if this counts but straight out of High School I want to apply for an operators position at the MBTA.

#45946  by CRail

by operator do you mean for the subway? I sure hope you dont mean an engineer for the commuter rail. No railroad will take you as an engineer off the street.

#46094  by MBTA1

Yes I meant subway, I probably should have worded that better. :wink:

#48575  by CRail

its ok. I was just clarifying

#54149  by Conrail4evr

I'm planning on getting my masters in electrical-mechanical engineering and then getting a job at either a manufacturer or a rebuilder. I've thought about civil engineering as well, though I'm keeping my options open with the courses I'm taking in high school at the moment. Seems to me that EVERYBODY wants to be a civil engineer though (this was the same way with people wanting to be software programmers/web designers a few years ago and now most of them can't earn a living off of it).

#58012  by SteelWheels21

It's great to see all you guys mentioning college before anything else. Any higher education experience (along with halfway decent grades and hopefully a degree) will show a railroad that you have some maturity and will be able to handle the training that they will throw at you. The GCOR rules class was the most intense three weeks of training I've been through, and I have a college degree. Remember, knowledge is power. Good luck to all of you.

#60019  by murray83

i'm 21 and a couple years ago finished a course in welding so i always wanted to be a mechanic or carman

but my only problem was that when i applyed to the local shortline my feeling was that unless my dad or family worked there, i was screwed :(

just wanted to ask if anyone else has had this problem or would anyone have any ideas on how to get my foot in the door?

i guess theres always the track gang but even then i'm told u need to know someone in the office

#60033  by PRRGuy

I'm 20 and I was recently hired by NICTD (Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District) or the passenger side of the South Shore as a car cleaner and yes, most of the time you do need to know someone that is higher up in the chain to get in, as I did. I've already been asked if I'd like to move up to carman. In a few months my training will start but, for now I'm working midnights out in the yard.

#61611  by capltd29

I wanna be an Environmental Lawyer, and maybe a Politician

#61841  by CRail

capltd29 wrote:I wanna be an Environmental Lawyer, and maybe a Politician
For a railroad?

#61916  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i am debating right now if i should go to a two year college or go straight to the RR, i have a lot of connections at the T, what do you guys think i should do? college first?

#65336  by c604.

Absolutly go to college first, it will be the best decision you will have ever made. The railroad will be there for a very long time, long after you are retired. Get an education now while you can. Get a four year degree in something meaningful (something like Business Administration for example, NOT music or art type things ) if you have the resources. That way you have something to fall back on if the rr job goes sour or if you want to advance upward in the company. Don't mess with a 2 year degree because unless its really really specialized, it won't get you much.
 #68351  by Porter Sq

Did any of you guys from the Boston area put your name in the hat for the job lottery? I had mine in the last one from 2002 and they didn't even get close to my numbers. Hopefully I can get in this time. Been wanting to work for the T since my grandfather would take me out on the weekends to ride he used to work on the blue line.

#69394  by RCH022

i plan on working full time (factory or carpenter.. somethign) then going to conductor training and hopefully get a job on the RR. :-D