Future Railroad Employees

A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

KAWASAKI-FAN100

Re: Future Job?

Post by KAWASAKI-FAN100 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:16 pm

If I can't get a job in my field I plan to get a high position in SEPTA. Maybe a Public Relations officer.
Kyle W.

ErieLimited2914

Post by ErieLimited2914 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:53 am

I'm a sophomore in high school and I hope to work at Strasburg after college or for a summer next year or the year after. I'd love to work for NJ Transit, but it's too rough. First 5 years is working the extra list and you can't plan to do anything at any day because you're on call, and its long hours and early mornings and late nights.

I'm going to go to school for engineering, and am going to take a few night classes to learn machining. I'm about to start building a Little Engines 4-6-2 Pacific modeled after an Erie K5s, and want to learn machining so I can do it in my garage to build it from rough castings. There's something about building something completely from scratch that gives you an extra satisfaction when its done.
MP the Mechanical E

joecop509

Post by joecop509 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:11 am

jogden wrote:
AznSumtinSumtin wrote:(I honestly don't what you call it when you "drive" a subway train).
motorman

anyways...i want to operate trains as well, but probably something bigger than the subway. :-D
I AGRE I WANT TO WORK FOR AMTRAK, CSXT OR UNION PACIFIC AS A TRAIN OPPERATOR.
I AMADGIN FOR THES JOBS YOU CAN’T BE ON DRUGS OR RUN IN WITH THE LAW BUT COMEON IM A PROUD CATHOLOIC :-) I DON’T THINK ALL THAT WILL HAPPEN

Chessie GM50

Post by Chessie GM50 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:32 pm

Currently going for a Major in Biomedical Engineering, and a minor in Photography.

NJT is somewhere back on the list, but it is still there...

atsf sp

Post by atsf sp » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:45 pm

I used to want to be an train engineer but now I'm not even having that in my mind. It depends on what I study in college. If I go for history, the RRs are virtually out. But if I go for business, I would probably apply for a management or logistics job on BNSF or CSX.
"Why would you take a train to go see another train?"
Some people just don't understand.
My Photos

Darien Red Sox

Post by Darien Red Sox » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:31 pm

atsf sp wrote:I used to want to be an train engineer but now I'm not even having that in my mind. It depends on what I study in college. If I go for history, the RRs are virtually out. But if I go for business, I would probably apply for a management or logistics job on BNSF or CSX.
Never rule anything out, it dose not relay matter what you study in college as long as you go to college. I have been told by multiple people working on the railroad that if you want to be a Conductor or Engineer having a college degree will help you greatly. I have spoke to a few people who went off and worked in other fields for many years including Wall Street until they decided to come back and get there child hood dream job. Do something you enjoy for you job because you will be doing it for the rest of your life.
Some people complain about the traffic on I95, If you have a problem with traffic and the rails go where you are going, TAKE THE TRAIN!!!

MaineEasternFL9

Re: Future Engineers and Conductors...

Post by MaineEasternFL9 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:29 am

I want to be an engineer but I don't think I can because I am somewhat color-blind. From what I understand I could still be a conductor on a passenger railroad. Not on a freight railroad though because the conductor has to be able to be promoted to engineer at some point. Also I think working for a passenger railroad gives you a more regular work schedual. You are less likely to work eratic scheduals.

MaineEasternFL9

Re: Future Railroad Employees

Post by MaineEasternFL9 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:36 am

I want to be an engineer but do to color blindness I don't think I can be. From what I understand I can still be a conductor on a passenger railroad.

atsf sp

Post by atsf sp » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:18 am

I'll probably end up in a railroad management job or a job such as a yardmaster.
"Why would you take a train to go see another train?"
Some people just don't understand.
My Photos

mrconductor55

Post by mrconductor55 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:03 am

Well I just turned 17, so the time is almost here. I'm thinking of trying to hire out to the Iowa Interstate Railroad. If not there right away, then hopefully BNSF or one of our many shortlines.

Darien Red Sox

Re:

Post by Darien Red Sox » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:20 pm

stevo wrote:i'm not gonna be in the cab. i couldn't live with myself after hitting someone...even though it wouldn't be my fault, i couldn't do it.
Agreed, this is the one thing that keeps me from wanting to get a job as an locomotive engineer.
Some people complain about the traffic on I95, If you have a problem with traffic and the rails go where you are going, TAKE THE TRAIN!!!

southern sec. kid

Post by southern sec. kid » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:23 am

2 questins:
What do you need to get an engineer job?
Say i wanted to operate on CSAO trackage, does CSAO have their own crews or is that csx and ns?

CSXTfan

Post by CSXTfan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Hmm........
Either CSX UP MARK or Amtrak

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:04 pm

It seems like a lot of people here have been lead to believe that college or university time is helpful when getting a running trades job on the railroad. While it would look amazing for an executive type position, to my knowledge it's useless if you want to hire on as a conductor/mechanic/signal maintainer/track labourer/you get the drift. In those positions, prior work experience is what will benefit you the most. If they see you have any time working with machinery or in a shop, you will stand out big time.

If you could hire out at 18-19, you could be qualified as an engineer by 21-22 depending on your terminal. Not to mention, you could retire by 55 (at least on CP in Canada).

Train538

Post by Train538 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:36 pm

After I attend college for four years I am probably going to work for Metro-North as a locomotive engineer but Amtrak and New Jersey Transit are my back-up options.
"We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor? Tower's radio clearance, over! That's Clarence Oveur. Over. Over. Roger. Huh? Roger, over! What? Huh? Who?" (from the movie Airplane!)

Return to “Teen Railroad Enthusiasts”