Railroad Forums 

• Is the color railroad book market saturated?

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#72773  by mxdata

I am curious what you might know of the current state of the market for all-color railroad books? From the looks of recent eBay auctions, where some titles that originally went for $49 to $69 are now being offered for $9.99 (and sometimes getting no bids at that price), the market is saturated. What have you heard about what is selling and what is not selling?
Last edited by mxdata on Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#72863  by Aa3rt

mxdata-possibly your question is very apparent to other readers at this website but could you be a little more specific? Are you referring to those books that appear in places like Borders or Waldenbooks this time of year with titles like "Worlds Steam Locomotives in Color?" with the same stock photos of New York Central Hudsons and Union Pacific Big Boys?

As I've gotten older my tastes, at least in railway interests, have become more refined. While I still find almost any railway interesting, I won't purchase just any book off the shelf. Items that I purchase now are usually related to shortlines or logging railroads, particularly in western Pennsylvania or New York State. This is admittedly a niche market so I don't expect to find many books on the subject.

Could you elaborate a little more or perhaps I'm missing something.

#72971  by mxdata

I was primarily thinking about some of the "color slide show" books which have been appearing on eBay at starting bid prices as low as $9.99, and sometimes not getting any bids at those prices. These books are also referred to as "coffee table" books and are typically 128 to 168 page formats with many pictures and rather minimal text. In order to be offered on eBay at starting prices around $10 there has to be some "dumping" from the publishers. This is way below normal dealer net.