Railroad Forums 

• Arcadia picture books

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#887416  by HBLR

The book's title "images of rail" "railroads of hoboken and jersey city" by Kenneth Frank.

I flipped though it briefly, the cover image alone is worth the book. Did someone one here put this together?

I couldn't wait to get home and look though it, it's really quite amazing. I highly recommend seeing if you can get this. It was right next to the main register near the door at the wallgreens on 32nd street and ave C here in bayonne. Not sure where else might be carrying it, but i think this is the 2nd time i saw it, 1st time being in too much of a hurry to look.

It even has some H&M RR and trolly stuff going on.
 #888571  by umtrr-author

I own this book... but then, I'm from Jersey City. Some nice aerial photographs inside. Also, images of the PRR's Exchange Place area tend to be hard to find and there are a few in this book.

There are several other books in the series on Jersey City and Hoboken but this is the most rail-focused.
 #889669  by HBLR

Yea, i'm really blown away by some of the various angles, especially of the old colgate factory, and the jersey central freight yards, and the old PRR terminal images are just priceless. My family has a lot of history in the railroads from my grandfather (dad's side) on back in this area, so it was pleasant for me to be able to see some of the stuff i'd hear about growing up in pictures.

Where did you get your copy? I did some digging and it seems the publisher has a website with many other really great books. Amazon has a few titles too around the same price range, though some are sold out.

Both my dad and my granpop would have loved these books, especially this one.
 #889941  by umtrr-author

HBLR, I think I bought my copy at a Borders or Barnes and Noble in New Jersey (the B&N in Menlo Park maybe?), or possibly even "The Model Railroad Shop" in Dunellen.

The Images of America books tend to be available locally to the subject matter, for example there are plenty of Rochester-focused books available in this area.
 #907155  by oldrow51

I just picked up the images of rails "New York Susquehanna & Western in New Jersey. Another great addition to the series. Picked it up ad Borders.