Railroad Forums 

• The Polar Express Movie

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#62992  by arnstg

This is going to be THE movie for the holiday for kids, and in my case, for Grandkids.

The NY Times had an article on 10/24 dealing not so much with the plot but the technology used. If you are interested, the site is the following:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/24/movie ... f=login&th

If you do not have current access, be assured if you sign up that you will not be inundated by SPAM.

A site with a promo for the movie is available at:

www.polarexpressmovie.com

Great site to sit and watch with your kids and/or Grandkids.

#64425  by Aa3rt

I saw the ads during the World Series. I must say it looked intriguing but I haven't been to the theatre in years so I'll probably wait for the video (and then they'll probably release it on DVD).

If you haven't seen it yet, Lionel has come out with a "Limited Edition" Polar Express passenger train in conjunction with the movie. Check out:

http://www.lionel.com/Products/Catalogs ... PageID=285

#64538  by Ken W2KB

It's been a year for me, the last time being the final Lord of the Rings movie, so maybe I'll see it in the theater. Mostly, I do wait for the DVD, though with LOTR, its been both. :P

Nice to see RR videos starting to be available on DVD nowadays.

#67347  by arnstg

Saw 3 reviews of this movie today:

1. NY Times was down on the technology which made the humans less than normal.

2. Roger Ebert gave it a glowing 4 stars indicating it will become a Christmas classic.

3. Michael Wilmington of the Chicago Tribune gave it 3 stars. He says:"This movie,which aspires to be a Christmas classic on the "It's a Wonderful Life" level, is overwhelming, enjoyable and impressive, without being really entrancing-though no doubt it will entrance plenty of adults and children who love the book.

Regarding the Lionel train set : I was in a suburban Chicago train store on Tuesday and found none of the trainsets. The salesman stated that they had been sold out very quickly and he had people on wait list for it.
Were these collectors or people looking for it at $250 for their kids? I don't know.

#69075  by arnstg

Saw it Sunday with my 8 year old Grandson. He rated it at 4 out of 5 stars. Hey, if my Grandson is happy, I'm happy.

Any other comments from folks who have seen it?

#69173  by John_Perkowski

Posted my detailed comments in the other Polar Express thread.

It was a worthwhile way to spend an evening with my son, watching this.

John Perkowski

#71744  by Aa3rt

Regarding the Lionel "Polar Express" set-I accompanied my bride to the local Hallmark store a couple of days ago and saw many Polar Express related items. The lady who runs the store is on a first name basis with my wife. She also knows that I'm a big railway enthusiast. She told me about a local gentleman who was looking for one of these sets and was finding it sold out everywhere he checked. (We live about 35 miles southeast of Washington, DC.)

I checked on that old standby-Ebay-and found these sets going for $ 450.00-550.00-the list price is $ 249.99. I assume that this is going to be one of the hit toys of this Christmas season. A couple of years ago the Harry Potter "Hogwart's Express" was selling for 2 to 3 times the list price. This year it can be found for around $ 40.00, at least on Ebay.

I'm glad I don't have any children clamoring for the lastest fashionable Christmas toys. :wink:
Last edited by Aa3rt on Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#71866  by David Benton

just curious , are amtrak or any other railroad running any promotions in relation to the polar express . i guess it would be more suitable for preservation lines , but a good opportunity to foster young interest in trains .
 #71902  by Gilbert B Norman

Be sure to catch January 05 TRAINS; mine was "spotted on the house track" @ MP 18.34 yesterday.

There is an article on Pere Marquette #1225 - the 2-8-4 'Berkshire' copied by the "Polar Express' animators.

#71971  by David Benton

abit off topic , ( i guess magazines are media ) , but my trains magazine arrived here in New Zealand ( via Germany for some reason ) , over a week ago . Perhaps Thanksgiving holiday is the reason .
Interesting article on the polar express loco , and the restoration of the prototype .