Railroad Forums 

• Famous Model Railroaders.

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#808124  by atsf sp

diburning wrote:Warren Buffet owns a bunch of Lionel stuff.... as well as BNSF :D
BNSF is his big train set.
 #808151  by Dieter

CNJ999 mentions the "Stigma" that has developed in recent years, and as of late, I've picked up a slew of snyde comments about people with a "Train Room" from a vareity of sources.

Keep in mind when you get these snyde comments or read cracks or hear cracks about it on your TV, it's coming from a yo-yo with little idea of what it is. We know it's more than a choo-choo running in a circle, but THEY DON'T. We know the room can cost as much as maintaining a large boat -- THEY DON'T. We know the level of work and craftsmanship that goes on in a train room -- THEY DON'T. And if they do? Perhaps they're JEALOUS!

If you want to own a private rail car, the common denominator from my walks about are; Orthodontists, Lawyers and Judges.

Like Private Rail Car Ownership, Model Railroading is also known as a wealthy man's hobby, hence, you need a good income to fuel the hobby -- like a celebrity. We know how engrossing a hobby this is, imagine if you were a celebrity, working like hell for 26 weeks per year (at least) and having 26 more off, what a great hobby this is to keep you busy, not to mention the escapist element that attracts so many to begin with.

As for interviewers veering off the topic, keep in mind, the interviewer is going to stick to a planned set of questions so he or she can hold an intelligent conversation. Remember the interviewer is on TV too. Get onto a topic they can't ask an intelligent follow-up question, and they invariably retreat to safe territory. Then again, perhaps it is one of those "TRAINOPHOBES" out there, we hear more and more about!!

BOO!!!!! I HAVE A TRAIN ROOM!!!

:P

D/
 #812569  by Dieter

Getting caught up on things tonight included finding the shocking news of the untimely death of fellow model railroader GARY COLEMAN at his home south of Salt Lake City, Utah. Following some kind of accident in his home, he suffered an cerebral haemorrhage. He died Friday May 28 ('10), Coleman was only 42. Available details and a bio are at this link;

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/1005 ... _coleman_1

We've all seen multiple articles about Coleman's interest in Model Railroading over the years, including a collection of an 800 square foot layout he donated to a club in Colorado Springs when he moved back to California several years ago.

You can read about that collection and see some pictures of his work at this link where he is described as a "Model Railroad Designer;

http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/gary-col ... -colorado/

Light a candle for Gary Coleman.

D/
 #812597  by 3rdrail

Here's Gary on the cover of RMC.
colemanrailroadmagsm.jpg
colemanrailroadmagsm.jpg (5.93 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
Mandy Patinkin is a devoted Lionel buff and has a large Lionel layout. He often appeared on Tom Snyder's show and talked trains.
mpltrains5.jpg
mpltrains5.jpg (18.65 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
 #812622  by Aa3rt

3rdrail wrote:Here's Gary on the cover of RMC.
Thanks for posting this Paul, do you happen to have the date of that issue of RMC?
 #812723  by 3rdrail

I think that it's September, 1990 Art. The first pic that I found on the net was tiny without much detail. This one is better;
Attachments:
colemanrailroadmag.jpg
colemanrailroadmag.jpg (18.24 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
 #812739  by Aa3rt

Thanks a lot Paul. This issue was mentioned in the "Famous Railfans" thread, also in this forum. I remembered having seen the issue but couldn't recall when it was published-almost 20 years ago!