Railroad Forums 

• Best Way to Unload Train Magazines?

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#733857  by NellsChoo

Hi all

I was given a ton of old train magazines last year. Since I am now unemployed, I am trying to go through them a stack at a time, keep ones that interest me, and sell ones that interest other people on Ebay. (I don't get much for them)

Here's my problem: I have a bunch of magazines that no one seems to want, or are not in good shape. I don't have the heart to throw them away. I wish I could give them to someone who can enjoy them. They are mostly issues of TRAINS from the 60's to early '90s. Also some Railfan & Railroad from the late '80s.

What would YOU do with these? Are they worth hauling to a local museum? Should I just trash them? Wadaya tink???

Jonelle
 #734254  by Otto Vondrak

Donate them...

- Boy Scouts/Youth Groups

- Retirement Homes

- Local Library

- CRAIGSLIST

- You could try train museums (but we unload them the same way)

Sorry to hear you're out of work... I'm sure that will change soon! :-)

-otto-
 #734317  by NellsChoo

I thought of retirement homes, but everyone I mention it to sort of sneers... Boy Scouts? Hmmm... my nephew is a Boy (Cub?) Scout up in NH. Maybe I can ask him... Craigs list didn't work... Library? Wouldn't hurt to ask, though the people in my town don't believe in history :(

I guess I have two leads to look into, Otto. As for employment, it has been almost a year already... :(

JD
 #735507  by Ken W2KB

We at the Black River Road Historical Trust keep a stack of model and prototype magazines in the station with a collection jar for donations for those that take a magazine (or two or three or . . . ). Not enough return for the time involved to actively sell them so we use the honor system leaving the amount of the donation up to the donor. We will issue a letter of receipt on request for donations (of any type) as a 501(3)(c) organization so donors can take a tax deduction. A local railroad museum might be interested in receiving them if they do something similar.
 #736413  by Otto Vondrak

NellsChoo wrote:I thought of retirement homes, but everyone I mention it to sort of sneers... Boy Scouts? Hmmm... my nephew is a Boy (Cub?) Scout up in NH. Maybe I can ask him... Craigs list didn't work... Library? Wouldn't hurt to ask, though the people in my town don't believe in history :(

I'd say try calling some local groups... see if your nephew's Cub Scout pack is interested (they might be too young, though). Never hurts to try calling the local YMCA, Boys & Girls Club, or even the old folks home to see if they'd like some reading material donated...

If all else fails, try our "For Sale" forum and offer them to people free if they pay postage. :-)
 #737093  by Otto Vondrak

NellsChoo wrote:Dagnabbit, I never noticed a FOR SALE section! I guess I usually don't scroll down that far! That may be useful in the future! I went through another batch of the magazines last night... the pile is growing!
Yeah, we got a forum for everything here... ;-)