Railroad Forums 

• MOVIE: Trolley scenes in "Changeling"

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#679862  by Cosmo

I am curious about the making of the movie "Changeling," Directed by Clint Eastwood and staring Angela Jolie (sp?)
In particular, the street scenes showing the trolleys in Los Angeles circa 1928-1935. Can anyone tell me where the street scenes were filmed? There are SEVERAL showing trolleys, including one where Angela runs after a "Big Red" car near the beginning of the film, and a closing scene showing an intersection complete with a "grand junction" between two intersecting lines.
The entire movie is an incredibly well done period piece and a tribute to Eastwood's directing abilities and attention to details.
I was given to understand that trolley wires were strung at the location to create the scenes, but were the tracks themselves "extant" before the filming or was everything re-created from the pavement up?
Does anyone know of any sites dedicated to this movie with information about it's making or where the trolley's themselves came from?
thanks.
 #679884  by RedLantern

Here's the filming locations from imdb.com:

Daniel Webster Elementary School - 2101 E. Washington Boulevard, Pasadena, California, USA

Lancaster, California, USA

Long Beach, California, USA

Los Angeles, California, USA

Pasadena, California, USA

San Bernardino, California, USA

San Dimas, California, USA

Santa Fe Railroad Depot - 1170 W. 3rd Street, San Bernardino, California, USA
(Train Station)

Universal Studios - 100 Universal City Plaza, Universal City, California, USA
(studio)

Vermont, USA

I can't think of anywhere in Vermont that would have those trolleys, are there any trolley museums in the other locations in California? Don't forget that computer graphics could be used as well, taking a trolley, catenary and tracks from a different location and overlaying them onto a set without these.

Does anyone know if Universal Studios has any trolleys on it's back lot that could be used for this? It would make sense for them to have the tracks and poles somewhere considering the amount of Universal movies that have trolleys in them.
 #680032  by pennsy

Any movie company can rent or borrow such things. OERM in Perris, CA has trolleys in its museum and for the right price will rent them. They even have motormen that can drive them. A friend of mine has a restored Schwinn Black Phantom, and rents it out to the Movie people for use in films. Naturally it is highly insured against just about everything. Apparently the money is good.