Railroad Forums 

• Silver Streak DVD release

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#47458  by Metalrailz

Amazon.com announced that Silver Streak will be released on DVD December 14,2004. Its about time they released it, The extras will probably contain the making of the final crash scene. I have already gone through two VHS tapes.
 #47504  by Gilbert B Norman

Which piece of tripe are we addressing? The first or most recent?.

One is as bad as the other; both cast absurdity on railroad operations; the latter additionally casts absurdity on railroad safety.

No wonder (and thank goodness) Amtrak declined to provide any production assistance to the most recent - they weren't around for the first incarnation.

I know many of you will be standing in line for its release; but my advice is save your money.

#47512  by Aa3rt

Mr. Norman-are you referring to the 1934 and 1976 versions or was there a remake I missed somewhere? The original "Silver Streak" movie that I'm aware of was filmed in 1934 with Sally Blane, Charles Starrett and Arthur Lake (who would later play in the "Dagwood" series). Unrealistic, fanciful plot and downright hokey, but still there are some great scenes of vintage railroading captured on film the likes of which we'll never see again. Check out:

http://www.thezephyr.com/monson/silverstreak.htm

If you're referring to the 1976 version with Gene Wilder and and Richard Pryor, I heartily concur-the less said the better.

#47579  by Metalrailz

I am referring to the 1976 release with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor.
I don't watch the movies to critique the railroad operations.

And in your opinions what would you consider to be a great railroad movie?

#47588  by Aa3rt

I don't watch the movies to critique the railroad operations.
Metalrailz, sorry, didn't mean for anyone to take offense to my remarks. I'm afraid that critiquing railroad operations on TV and in the movies is something I've always done (and drives my wife to distraction :wink:).

One of the most technically accurate movies that I can remember is "Emperor of the North Pole" with Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine. The producers seemed to go to great lengths to recreate a depression-era steam operation, and were successful for the most part. I do remember one shot that showed some Spokane, Portland and Seattle 50' plug door boxcars that were well out of the time frame but other than that a good portrayal of 1930's railroading. (The gory ending I could have done with out-something I would have expected from extreme fighting or the World Wrestling Federation.)

Another movie that I really enjoy, admittedly a fanciful flight of fiction, but a good portrayal of railroad operations is "The Titfield Thunderbolt", a British film, made in 1953. With the exception of one segment where a couple of very inebriated individuals take a 0-4-2 tank loco on an "off-road" excursion, the movie does give a good representation of post-war British branchline railroading.

To each his own-someone else may find one (or both) of these movies a horrible piece of dreck, didn't mean for you to take offense by my remarks.

#47650  by Metalrailz

Art no offense taken, you were giving your opinion and I respect. As a matter a fact I wasn't offended at all. I am the same way with movies by pointing out all the inconsistencies. But with therapy I hope to stop one day(hahahaha)
The reason I enjoyed the movie is Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. They are great actors who can feed off one another. Not all the lines in the movie are scripted.

Thanks for the Movies, what did you think of Burt Lancaster in "The Train"

#47751  by Aa3rt

It's been years since I've seen "The Train" so I can't really comment on it. However, in the "Railroads in the Movies" thread, a poster by the name of Tony T gives it a good review. The wrecks in that movie used real trains, no models or special effects. Guess I'll have to look for it.

#48060  by Metalrailz

Hey Art maybe you can help me with this movie. Its an older war movie where the Germans are transporting valueable paintings on a train, in the end the steam engine derails after the rails become sabotaged. The Nazi's on the train begin shooting all the people removing the paintings from the train. I believe Burt Lancaster starred in it...any Ideas?

#48064  by Metalrailz

Please disregard my last question, that is "The Train" with Burt Lancaster.