Railroad Forums 

• FILM: Anatomy of a Murder

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#605560  by riffian

Hope this topic hasn't been covered before, but I couldn't find anything via search. Was the station pictured in this film Negaunee or Ishpeming? The interior scene showed the train board and you can clearly see 209 and 214, "the Peninsula 400" and 162 which was the overnight from Chicago. The train itself appeared to be put together especially for the movie, but was a nice little consist of streamlined RPO/baggage, heavyweight baggage, C&NW Northern class sleeper (Northern Pines?) and streamlined coach. Surely 162 had been taken off by the time this movie was filmed, circa 1958? Thanks for any info.

My first post on this forum.

Bill Root
New Castle, DE
 #609178  by atlpete

Bill
Per Lloyd Keyser's C&NW in color Vol 3, page 16 devoted to the C&NW's movie roles ; both interior and exterior shots were made on location at the Ispheming station during filming in March 1959, the train in the exterior shot is the "freshly painted and clean" consist of 161/215 the Iron Country furnished to the production for $100 an hour, the consist as follows; E8 5030B, Baggage-RPO 8202 or 8303, hvwt baggage-express 8693 or 8694, sleeper Northern Vacations, and coach 847.
I agree, very nice, classic C&NW.
Again per Keyser's book, the exterior scene took an entire day of shooting until the lighting was perfect and Preminger got the right shot, also the movie was nominated for seven Oscars but lost out to Ben Hur
As an aside, Anatomy.. is still highly regarded in the legal community for it's unusually realistic and technically accurate portrayal of trial proceedings.
I liked it a lot, for my money the Iron Country footage almost(but not quite)upstaging Lee Remick.
Pete
 #613827  by riffian

Pete - Thanks very much for the info. I had determined that the station was Ishpeming via an IMDB (Internet Movie Data Base) search. Most interesting that they used an actual train consist for the part. I guess it was laying over during the day, anyway. At the start of the movie during the scene at the outdoor hotdog stand, an Alco switcher is seen in the background. Do you know where this scene was filmed and to whom the Alco belonged?

Thanks Again.

Bill Root
 #614667  by atlpete

Nifty scene as well, as I recall from the film it was a Lake Superior & Ispeming RS-1 with a nice wooden hack , not sure about the exact locale though I'd guess it was Marquette given that town's proximity to Ispheming and the water, dock etc. in the background, believe LS&I ore docks were situated there too.
 #615079  by riffian

Ah yes, the LS&I - I should have guessed. The scene was so brief and I was surprised to see the lakefront background with a train emerging stage left. Too bad the interior scenes of the Ishpeming depot weren't filmed a few months earlier. The train board would have also included DSS&A trains 1 and 2, the "Shoreliner". That would be a memorable movie scene.

Bill Root