Railroad Forums 

• Foamer stuff on TV

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#497416  by thor88

My local PBS station almost never shows anything of RR interest.

Then guess what they do, the night of the State of the Union Address, they preempt the regular programs and put on foamer stuff on opposite W.

#497432  by EMTRailfan

RFD TV on Dish Network has <i>Trains and Locomotives</i> on it on Mondays at 1800 EST, Tues at 0200 EST, and Sat. at 0900 EST (all same episode if you miss one). My local PBS, <i>WQED</i> has a show on called <i>Tracks Ahead</i> I think at 1630 on Sat. This show is a little of everything from real trains-models-toys-etc.

#509134  by Death Star

EMTRailfan wrote:RFD TV on Dish Network has <i>Trains and Locomotives</i> on it on Mondays at 1800 EST, Tues at 0200 EST, and Sat. at 0900 EST (all same episode if you miss one). My local PBS, <i>WQED</i> has a show on called <i>Tracks Ahead</i> I think at 1630 on Sat. This show is a little of everything from real trains-models-toys-etc.
also in Dish Network there is a channel called D.I.Y. (Do It Yourself) Network for doing importaint stuff around your home like fixing a bathtub, getting your garden ready and getting that new DCC sound system to work on your model railroad. Yes the D.I.Y. Networdk has a show for model railroaders too! it is a program called "Workin on the Railroad" avery cool informative model RR program for any scale. First they will start by showing some interesting layouts with a specific topic in mind (like train whistles) then go into the "workshop" and show you how you can apply that to your layout just like the featured modeler did on his layout! And for you people who want to model a garden railroad it even has a special 5 part episode to get you on the right rack too! Great informative model railroad show! I'd recomend it! 5 stars and two big thumbs waaayyy up!

#509296  by MEC407

Damn! I wish my landlord would let me have Dish Network!

#509632  by CN9634

I just enjoy the DVD series that MR/Trains puts out. If we like them, then we send them the money for the DVD, if not you simply send it back.

Re:

#620895  by hailster

MEC407 wrote:Damn! I wish my landlord would let me have Dish Network!
I know this is an old topic but I just wanted to add that your landlord CANNOT restrict you getting Dish Network. The FCC has been very clear on this in the past, just like your landlord can't restrict you putting up a TV antenna. Just keep in mind that you should try not to damage anything while installing the dish.
 #620904  by MEC407

My understanding was that there is a loophole in the law that allows landlords to deny you a dish or antenna if the location where you would put the dish or antenna is a part of the building that you, the tenant, do not have "exclusive" use of. This includes the roof of the building, which is considered a "common area."
 #620953  by CarterB

Ditto the excellent rr programming choices available on DISH TV. RFD's "Trains & Locomotives" has great vintage steam, early diesel (Baldwin, FM, Alco, etc.) electric, and even trolley footages. "I love Toy Trains" for the model entusiast. Tracks Ahead, Voyages (Trains Unlimited) and even some Operation Lifesaver shows.

RE the antenna on roof, all depends on how the particular complexes documents are written, and what state you are in.
True, you cannot be denied 'right to the airways' but....if there is an alternative, such as cable in the building, the landlord may have complied with FCC rulings for 'alternative sources', thus no dishes.

In my particular condo complex in NJ, Satellite dishes are allowed...but ONLY on limited common elements (porch, patio, deck) and can NOT be permanently attached to any of the building structure,(has to be on a free standing pedestal) nor can hole in wall be drilled for the coax.(have to run it through an ajar slider or window) In addition, the dish cannot protrude into the "space" beyond the limited common element, (can't stick out over the railing on deck, etc.) This basically limits the reality of Satellite TV for all but South facing units. This has withstood legal actions.
 #621018  by Ken W2KB

CarterB wrote:True, you cannot be denied 'right to the airways' but....if there is an alternative, such as cable in the building, the landlord may have complied with FCC rulings for 'alternative sources', thus no dishes. .
I believe that the FCC regulations now state that the alternative exemption does not apply if the tenant or condo owner wants to receive programing not available on the central system. So if one wanted to receive the RFD channel (for the railroad shows or whatever), the landlord or condo association is required to add that programming to the central system or allow installation of an antenna at the unit. Since RFDTV is available on few, if any cable systems, an antenna installation would have to be the allowable option. For this option, the same restrictions such as installation in exclusive control, not common areas, no exterior wall drilling, etc. are still in effect.
 #621022  by MEC407

Which means there would be no way for me to get it, because the only part of the building to which I have exclusive control is the inside of my apartment.

Oh well... I'm glad that others are able to enjoy it. :-)
 #621038  by CarterB

I believe that the FCC regulations now state that the alternative exemption does not apply if the tenant or condo owner wants to receive programing not available on the central system.
I believe that only applies to foreign language/ethnic stations/channels. Don't know if "Rural America" counts as either.