Railroad Forums 

• Edwin R. Winter

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#406635  by Brad Smith

Edwin R. Winter passed on April 22, 2007. Ed was founder of Winters Rigging, a well known and well respected company best known to us railfans as the guys who clean up derailments in WNY and beyond. I grew up on the main road in a town near the Winters home base. When the windows rattled and the dishes shook, a glance out the window would confirm that a convoy of Winters trucks was heading out of town to clean up someones problem somewhere!

#418716  by BR&P

Sorry to hear that - Ed was a decent guy. I first met him back in the '70s when they had a payloader-mounted snowblower clearing the tracks at Rochester Yard. Although busy, he took time to explain a bit about the thing. And Winters does indeed go beyond western NY - I don't know the farthest they have worked but I do know they rerailed a SLA loco in South Paris, Maine about 10 years back.
 #1424411  by foundingfather

I remember Ed's place in 1974, He was friends with my Grand Parents. He was a very nice guy, he used to take us kids on tours and let us run all over the place and explore. My Grandpa would be yelling to not climb on something and Ed would say "don't worry about it I gotta redo it anyways". I remember a pond with an island and big wheels and the smell of grease... Which I still love today. As I remember it Ed was a VERY hard working man and didn't take no for an answer. But that's what made men like him great. Nothing but good memories of him here.