Railroad Forums 

• MOVIE: Silver Streak

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#631410  by PClark

I started watching "Silver Streak" on TV a week or so ago.

The scene where Gene Wilder seduces the heroine in the Diner was such a bad take-off of the scene between Cary Grant and Eva-Marie Saint on the "20th Century Limited" in Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" that I turned it of and put my DVD of "The Train" with Burt Lancaster and Paul Schofield on.
 #638207  by atsf sp

There are 10 visible engines in this movie. CP 4070 and 4067(F7s) 8100 SW1200 plus 5 other CP engines with 3 being SW switchers. And there is a BN Eunit and a BN SW switcher.
 #648491  by ex Budd man

Anybody have info on the first 'Silver Streak' movie using the Pioneer Zephyr? It portrays a fiction western railroad running its brand new streamlined train and how someone is trying to sabotage it.
 #1537983  by NellsChoo

HI folks

A recent blog post of mine is a review of Silver Streak (1976), and while putting together screen-shots, it all of a sudden dawned on me that the lead unit of the movie's consist, CP 4070, appears to have dual controls.

When it comes to what goes on in the cab of locomotives, I don't know a whole lot: the conductor sits on the LEFT, like in a car, and the engineer sits on the RIGHT. BUT, we see what appears to be the engineer sitting in and radioing from the RIGHT, until the bad guy gets into the cab, then the train gets controlled from the LEFT.

If you click the link below and scroll to the second half of the post, you will see some screen shots showing what I mean. All the shots of Patrick McGoohan as the meanie Devereau are taken with him in the RIGHT door, with the train seemingly being controlled from the LEFT.

https://nellsreviews.blogspot.com/2020/ ... -1976.html

NOW, it is POSSIBLE that they were actually PUSHING the train in those scenes, but that would have involved a lot of shuffling of equipment, re-shoots, etc, and all that costs time and money.

Not being familiar with CP/Canadian practices, and the fact that loco was a GMD not EMD... well... can anyone clear this up for me???

JD
 #1538053  by Backshophoss

The only controls on the Fireman's side are an emergency brake valve,windshield wiper control,possibly steam generator "idiot light" alarms.

Figure the "in cab scenes" were done standing still with a "moving background" film inserted in post production.
 #1538477  by NellsChoo

The moving-train scenes in the cab were definitely not done in a studio. There are even behind the scenes photos proving that. It is more than obvious when watching the film. And that is from someone who thought it was somewhat lackluster as a whole!
Image6.jpg
Image6.jpg (124.15 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
 #1539457  by NellsChoo

THANKS to the anonymous poster who added some location info to my blog topic! Still, no real answer to my question regarding the left-side of the cab. Closest answer was from Backshophoss
 #1561536  by EvaWills89

I loved this movie. I enjoyed the realism in character, interactions with old experts and new innovators battling heads over how things are done when new technology is introduced. So many people don't realize how real these kinds of conversations were, and still are today. I love cutting edge new innovations, but at the same time the social and political structure of our world today
 #1561738  by Backshophoss

Would not count on VIA or Amtrak for doing a "Reboot" of Silver Streak ,anytime soon.