Railroad Forums 

• Lecturing about railroad history

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1539134  by Arborwayfan

Hi, folks,
Here I am in my basement studio lecturing on railroads, market economies, empires, and time for my students in World History since 1800 at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Terre Haute, Indiana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJjedwjwmQ8&t=1450s. This will be one of their distance lectures for the week after next. Most regulars on this forum won't learn anything new, but I thought you might enjoy the video anyway, or forward it to someone who would learn from it.
Thanks to James E. Vance, Jr., for brilliantly showing the special characteristics of North American railroads in his book The North American Railroad.
I apologize for the weak audio. I am just getting used to this kind of thing, and all I have to work with is a regular digital camera.

---Arborwayfan, aka Sam Martland, fidgety speaker, Bostonian, adoptive Terre Hautean, lover of forests and railroads, Professor of History and Latin American Studies, and even, as you might notice on my youtube channel, emergency leader of Unitarian Universalist church services via YouTube
 #1539137  by Wayside

Nice job.

When I think of Terre Haute, I go back to my childhood when my family would ride New York Central trains annually across the Midwest, between end points of Albany and St. Louis.

Anyway, as we approach the city in question, conductors would call out, as they passed through the coaches, "Station stop is Terre Haute! Terre Haute, this way out please!"
 #1539140  by Arborwayfan

I can picture right where your train would have been when they said that: crossing the Wabash on a long through-truss bridge heading east and cutting diagonally southwest through the north side of TH heading west.