Railroad Forums 

• Famous Railfans?

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#636163  by Mattydred

Let's not forget former race car driver and TV sports analyst Sam Posey. He loves trains so much, he wrote a book about them and his basement layout in Connecticut-Playing with Trains. He's a very capable writer as well, the book being more of a confessional than a how-to. I find it amusing a racer would be into trains at all.
 #636308  by steamal

Mattydred, I don't know for a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out F.E. and F.O. Stanley (of Stanley Steamer fame) were railfans.
 #636335  by Jtgshu

Kamen Rider wrote:Rod Stewart has been quoted as rather being in Model Railroader than on the cover of Rolling Stone. He's got atleast two layouts; one in his LA home of the NYC and PRR in the 1940's, and one in his home near London of the East Coast Main.
Rumor has it that when he was filming the video of "Downtown Train" in Hoboken Terminal in Hoboken, NJ on NJTransit, he was quite interested in the railroad itself and was doing a little "buffing" while he was there. He was also hanging off the Jersey Arrow like a pro in the video - hahhaa
 #914226  by daylight4449

GSC wrote:No one mentioned Ross Rowland. As far as the general public is concerned, he is known for establishing the American Freedom Train in 1976. We "enthusiasts" know of quite a few of his other endeavors.

Edgar T. Meade wrote several books on narrow gauge railroads around the world.
Ross Rowland is one of my idols (along with JJJ and Doyle McCormack). I wish i could have the chance to meet him. Patrick Stewart as a railfan, and Kevin Kostner owning a steam locomotive? Not impossible, seeing John Travolta is a huge aircraft fanatic.
 #914227  by daylight4449

Wait, Barry Burbank is a railfan? Sweet. All i need to do is run into him at the steaming tender...
 #914228  by daylight4449

Mattydred wrote:Let's not forget former race car driver and TV sports analyst Sam Posey. He loves trains so much, he wrote a book about them and his basement layout in Connecticut-Playing with Trains. He's a very capable writer as well, the book being more of a confessional than a how-to. I find it amusing a racer would be into trains at all.
I read that book. Very good way to chronicle one's modeling exploits.
 #914257  by chucksc

Also don't forget that the "chunky" Mafiosa who was Tony's brother in law on the Supranos....
There were some great layout shots in several of the episodes (I think the layout was in the garage) and I believe he was assasinated in a train store in one of the final episodes...
 #914270  by JasW

chucksc wrote:Also don't forget that the "chunky" Mafiosa who was Tony's brother in law on the Supranos....
There were some great layout shots in several of the episodes (I think the layout was in the garage) and I believe he was assasinated in a train store in one of the final episodes...
Trying to buy a Lionel Blue Comet, no less.
 #914903  by Patrick Boylan

steamal wrote:
3rdrail wrote:The late Tom Snyder was a fan and ran a Lionel layout.
Really? I never knew! Now I wish I had known!
3rdrail wrote:Yes, he was a big buff and had a good sized layout. Here he is talking with Mandy Patinkin about their layouts. Mandy continues to be a big buff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RTcaJmoYLI
Thank you JasW, chucksc, daylight4449 for resurrecting this thread, otherwise I probably would not have clicked on it. Thank you also 3rdrail for that link to a fantastic video. Folks, it's less than 10 minutes long and well worth the time investment. I urge you all to watch it.
 #914931  by 3rdrail

You're entirely welcome, Patrick. You watch that video and get the feeling that these men are your friends. A couple of good guys there.
 #914937  by daylight4449

Patrick Boylan wrote:
steamal wrote:
3rdrail wrote:The late Tom Snyder was a fan and ran a Lionel layout.
Really? I never knew! Now I wish I had known!
3rdrail wrote:Yes, he was a big buff and had a good sized layout. Here he is talking with Mandy Patinkin about their layouts. Mandy continues to be a big buff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RTcaJmoYLI
Thank you JasW, chucksc, daylight4449 for resurrecting this thread, otherwise I probably would not have clicked on it. Thank you also 3rdrail for that link to a fantastic video. Folks, it's less than 10 minutes long and well worth the time investment. I urge you all to watch it.
Just glad to help. I'll watch that video right now. Waiting for Itunes to update while i'm typing this.

Re:

#960730  by Aa3rt

emd_SD_60 wrote:Michael Gross, the dad on "Family Ties" is a railfan also. If i'm not mistaken, he's always on those infomercials late at night promoting some sort of train videos. :wink:
The Fall 2011 issue of Classic Trains contains an article by Michael Gross detailing his employment with the Chicago & North Western in the summer of 1967 as an extra board fireman on the Wisconsin Division. Gross had roots in railroading as he mentions in the article that his grandfather was employed by the Santa Fe for 56 years and his great-grandfather had been a boilermaker with the Santa Fe and the Burlington.

On the first page of the article there's a photo from 1967 of Gross in a locomotive cab, bearing little resemblance to the personality that many of us know from television and movies.