Railroad Forums 

• Question about ex-ATSF territory

• For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
 #535366  by Tom Curtin

Do you see much traffic besides Amtrak (which I realize doesn't traverse there in daylight) on the ex-
ATSF main across Raton Pass? My wife is interested on visting Santa Fe & Taos, and I see that much of that rail route in northern New Mexico is paralelled by I-25, so it's readily accessible. The question is: how much traffic is there?

#539964  by Peace_Maker

I used to work there and I know the pass very well. The only regular traffic is the two Amtrak trains #3 West and #4 East. Occasionally bare tables run through the pass usually at night. There used to be a regular Eastbound Z train every Tuesday but that train is just a rare occasion.

Amtrak does go across in daylight unless something has changed in the past couple of months. Number 3 usually arrives in Raton around 11:00 am and Number 4 arrives in Raton around 5 something pm.

One thing to keep in mind is you cant see much of the pass from I-25. About the only place the I-25 and the RR parallel is for a couple of miles on the Trinidad side once you get past Walmart.

I don't know if it interests you or not but there is still semaphores on that line south of Raton in the Springer area. If you take the frontage road south out of Springer you will see many, and you will be close enough to the tracks to get some good shots.

If you have any more questions about that area let me know. My information is a little dated since I left there two months ago but not much will change around there until NM takes over the line.