Railroad Forums 

• ATSF tenders

• For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
 #1452206  by Cowford

I posted this elsewhere, but think this is the appropriate forum:

The Dec Trains magazine has an article about experiences firing on the ATSF. The pic (of a 2-10-2) jogged my memory about a question I've long had about ATSF tenders: Some have a large housing on top of (or sometimes behind?) the oil bunker... looks to stand about 4-5-ft high, the top of which is arched. In a couple pics I've seen, they appear to have access doors. Only thing I could come up with is that it's part of a bunker oil heating system. Orientation on the tender varies (as can be seen in the pics). Anyone ideas?
ATSF #1.JPG
ATSF #2.JPG
 #1452449  by Pat Fahey

Hi Cowford
My guess it looks like a fire hose, housing, maybe the engine was in this type of service, with a fire Train. May I suggest you post the same photos and article on Railway Preservation news. http://www.rypn.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; interchange.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: removing a comma from the url. JP
 #1452657  by Cowford

Mr Fahey, that was certainly not the answer I expected! But very much appreciate your input. I googled and confirmed it... interesting as I've never seen any other road's tenders so equipped.

Thanks again.
 #1453718  by John_Perkowski

The Santa Fe ran (since it's now BNSF) in some of the most arid climates in the nation. Look at the vegetation of Arizona. Look at the cropland bordering the tracks in Colorado and Kansas.

Being able to help put out a trackside fire would be a very good thing.
 #1454013  by Cowford

That's certainly true, but from what (little) I've found on the subject, mostly engines in yard service were so equipped. And they were oil burners, which don't create the same fire hazard as a coal-fired locomotive.
 #1480520  by arthur d.

How about a hose reel and pump to reach out and take on fuel if they get caught short out away from the service tracks??