Railroad Forums 

• Santa Fe FTA 185L

• For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
 #1546760  by SSW921

I picked up a copy of Iron Horses of the Santa Fe Trail in March 2017. There's a photo of a very interesting FT A unit #185L on page 450. I've stated that it's really an F7Am, and don't you know that started several brouhahas with Santa Fe experts. It appears to have been rebuilt at Cleburne in late 1951 or early 1952. That can be determined by the phase of the cab. I'm searching for wreck photos and details. Several photos of the wrecked 185L have been posted to Trainorders, but not the profile view necessary to determine if it had frame damage.

If you find photos of this interesting unit look at the position of the trucks. Both appear to be forward of their normal position on an FT A unit. And note the amount of frame overhang at the back of the unit.

Does anyone have the as-built plans for EMD order E709, that's the order that the 185L, ex 179C was built on in August 1945.

Thanks for any reply,

Ed in Kentucky
 #1559002  by swissrailfan

The ATSF FT's did not have the overhang you mentioned as in the close coupled drawbar connected Boston & Maine FT's . The ATSF FT's are very similar to the overhang of the F2/F3. ATSF FT's were all self contained A and B units with mu connections ,batteries rear steps, and couplers. The Boston & Maine FT's were drawbar connected with a substantial overhang of 3 or more ft. The over hang is the solid drawbar is connected to the frame. The truck bolster is forward toward the fuel tank. This gives the odd look to the locomotive. The photos of wrecked 185l the bolster pin may have been sheared in the wreck or the bolster itself may have broken away from the frame. It is possible that EMD in the rebuild of the FT to F7am they welded the frame bolster forward of the original location for added strength. That would shift the truck closer to the fuel tank.