east point wrote:But Gateway project does include the 4 tracking.
The Gateway project consists of many separate independent items. The order of which item occurs is subject to various funding and political pushes but here is a tentative "MAYBE" order.
1. The west side tunnel boxes ( 2 separate contracts under construction).
2. North Portal bridge.
3. Track and tunnel construction of the 2 new North river tunnel bores. Once in operation then item 4 is needed.
3a. Rebuilding of present North river bores one at a time. Once both bores and items 4 & 5 completed will be needed for maximum capacity.
4. 4 tracking including all necessary crossovers at the track joining NEC, Portal bridges, and Newark Penn from where new tunnel tracks will join present 2 MT NEC to the Newark Penn station. This project would have no use until Portal north is complete. Includes improving the Mid=town direct connection to allow
5. Penn south station work started and completed.
6. Portal south bridge started and completed including all track work.
7. Demolition of current Portal swing bridge.
8. Secaucus loop connection to NEC not needed until new bores complete and Penn south complete.
9. Extra tracks and platform at Secaucus.
10. Rebuilding Dock drawbridge ( just east of Newark Penn )
All these projects will by the nature of their many years construction may overlap.
Not in the Gateway program but planned far in the future is the addition of East river tunnel bores 5 & 6connecting to all Penn south tracks and maybe NYP tracks 1-6 (?) to allow better access to Sunnyside and Hell Gate route.