Railroad Forums 

• All Things Portal Bridge: Amtrak and NJT Status and Replacement Discussion

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#133720  by AmtrakFan

This is a very interesting attitude by the unions.

#133747  by bronxtale

Amtrak labor unions are not responsible for design. They are also not responsible for deteriorated insulators that flash over.

#133751  by DutchRailnut

reusing old bearings ?? or reusing bearings and disks on old axles by just putting new wheels on.
The later is normal practice at any railroad and in no way in violation of any FRA rule, unless a derailment took place and bearings were exposed to lateral forces beyond design specifications.

#133758  by Nasadowsk

<i>Amtrak labor unions are not responsible for design. They are also not responsible for deteriorated insulators that flash over.</i>

Neither of which were causes of this accident.

Then again, who <b>is</b> responsible for inspecting the insulators?

#133779  by ryanov

Jtgshu wrote:Rudy Guiliani for NJT Exec Director!!!!!

Hahaha, just kidding
I almost said it, but thought better of it. :wink:

#133830  by NJTRailfan

Guys I would love to have Rudy Guliani for NJT Director for the fact that with 8 yrs of Guliani NJT would be a hell of alot better then 8 yrs from now then what we currently have under the damage doen by Warrington and McGreavy. This is the worst damage to a transit agnecy I've ever seen since what that leech Karl Ichan did to TWA and their dedicated employees with that comapny. That airlines suffered for 10 years even after Ichan left beofre it was finally put out of it's misery when american bought it in 2001. If TWA was stil laround it would be jsut as sucessful and large as continenetal.

David Gunn, Rudy guliani and joe Calrk wioth their 8 yrs in office would be able to have one or even two of the big 3 projects algon with mroe money bought in for NJT and it would be runned much better then what Warrington/McGreavy is doing/did.

I'll bet that if you went to amtrak employees on your next rip on amtrak and ask them they would love to have Guliani, Joe Clark, gordon Bethune to run them rather thenbe stuck in Warrington's clutches. If Warrington never had gotten control of amtrak i nthe 1st palce they would've never been this bad as they are now.

You may think Guliani would do no good along with Clark but believe me. MOM, cutoff, H tunnels, W Trenton along with the elctrification projects would be much urther under 8 yrs of these guys then 10 yrs under Warrington. Even the current infastructure/service would be runned with the more money these men would be able to easily get from Trenton and Washington DC alogn with common sense which unfortionatly you rarely see in Trenton or DC anymore.

#133871  by Jtgshu

Warrington's a figure head - he doesn't do much.....hahaha

Why is NJT so bad???????? Looking back at the big picture over teh past ten years, ridership has increased something like 40 or 50 percent, pretty new equipment, ROW's in very good shape, station and infrastructure rebuilding, HUNDRED'S of trains added system wide, the list goes on and on..........also, don't forget very big adn ambitious expansion projects, some in teh works, others not.

Yes, NJT does have its problems, ill be the first to admit and criticize, BUT, as a whole, its not in THAT bad a shape.

Of course, there are rotten apples in teh bunch, but IMO, NJT isn't in THAT bad a shape. Could there be much more improvements?? Of course.......have tehre been any improvements over teh past decade?? Most definately!

Im quite happy to be working for NJT rather than Amtrak right now.

#133873  by Guest

NJTRailfan wrote:if only NJT and the state of NJ and their infinate wisdom were able to find a David Gunn or a Gordon Betune
How about Shirley Delibero?

#133892  by JoeG

If Giuliani were to run NJT, you can bet that trainmen would have to wear neatly pressed uniforms. Maybe they would even get shiny black boots. But he has no track record of raising money or project management. What if he appointed as his deputy mobbed-up Kerik?

#133898  by Lackawanna484

So, we're in agreement that Amtrak does a fine job managing the northeast corridor, and doesn't need anybody looking over their shoulders?

OK, let's carry on, then.

Next problem...

#133899  by Ken W2KB

>>>But while the electrical inspector in Kearny would inspect the new GFI outlet you just installed for your pool, he has no authority to inspect a new Amtrak 11kV circuit breaker located next door...<<<

Nor would the vast majority of electrical inspectors be qualified to inspect high power/voltage installations.

#133915  by PRRTechFan

I previously wrote:
>>>But while the electrical inspector in Kearny would inspect the new GFI outlet you just installed for your pool, he has no authority to inspect a new Amtrak 11kV circuit breaker located next door...<<<
Ken W2KB wrote:
Nor would the vast majority of electrical inspectors be qualified to inspect high power/voltage installations.
Yes, I agree completely! In fact, there are several electrical inspectors that I wouldn't trust to pass judgement on that pool GFI outlet; like the guy who failed a multi-family apartment building because it was wired in romex. The actual white plastic-jacketed cable that he saw was coax cable for the cable TV system...

My example of the "local electrical inspector" was meant only to indicate that railroad electrical distribution systems do not appear to be subject to equivalent scrutiny from independent, outside sources like the bulk of other electrical installations are. On the other hand, the Amtrak electrical distribution system is really more like a utility than let's say, a large industrial user, too.

#134285  by David Benton

the voltages causing the arc in these pictures is around 50 times higher than the cantenary . You could not have such high voltages in a cantenary situation , there simply isnt enough room to have adequate space between the live wire , and everything else that is earthed . the railroad track rails is the return for the live wire , and i presume that must be bonded to earth .
As far as i know the highest cantenary voltage is 50 kv , ( used here in New Zealand ) , and that caused enough problems with clearances , and induced voltages in signalling cirucits . ( fibreoptics solved the signal problems ) .

Interesting pictures though .

#134661  by Nasadowsk

50kv is used in the US in Nevada for the BM&LP and I think Desert Western, also. Both coal haulers.