Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Gateway Tunnels

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1555663  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:40 am Mr. Wolf. I was a college Freshman when the MILW abandoned the "bridge" during '61; and had no idea I'd be on the outfit's payroll some nine years later.

But from those having the "whiskers", such as the Agent at Marquette, IA, track speed was ostensibly 10mph - and that was on a "good day".
Okay, I figured it wouldn't be 60, but 10? You might as well ferry them across the river.
 #1556518  by JohnFromJersey

Worst comes to worst, and the tunnels fail...
Do you think we'll see some of the old CNJ terminals on the Jersey City shoreline come back to use with ferries? :wink:
 #1556539  by STrRedWolf

JohnFromJersey wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:41 am Worst comes to worst, and the tunnels fail...
Do you think we'll see some of the old CNJ terminals on the Jersey City shoreline come back to use with ferries? :wink:
Bus bridge. The rail is no longer there.
 #1556552  by scratchyX1

JohnFromJersey wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:41 am Worst comes to worst, and the tunnels fail...
The terminals that have been depicted with really good detail in Marvel Comics?
I think the bridge (which is the one that had the disaster in 58, right?) is long gone.
 #1556597  by eolesen

Nope. You'll see more permanent telecommuting for NYC commuters.

Face it folks, many companies survived the last 8 months without having workers at desks in Manhattan. I suspect there's a new "shelter in place" order coming for NYC if it's not already out.
 #1556625  by Jeff Smith

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:08 am
But Hoboken will be hellabusy!
 #1556633  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:30 am
STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:08 am
But Hoboken will be hellabusy!
Hoboken, Newark, and Secaucus. There's not enough room at just Hoboken. I think I posted a theoretical "worst case scenario" earlier (or in another thread).
 #1560671  by Gilbert B Norman

While I will endeavor to "non-politcize" this posting, and ask any respondents to make like
same, Gateway has as much chance now to have the "borers a borin'", as in the past eight years.

While "razor thin", the Dems will now hold all pieces of Col. Perkowski's 218+51+1 enacted legislation equation. In common with both Obama and Trump, Joe has big infrastructure plans. But, as we know, such sounds great on the trail, but largely forgotten in office.

But the existing tunnels are eight years closer to springing a leak, and now "ostensibly Amtrak" Joe, and assuming Chuck and Nancy "make their troops toe the line", the talking just might end, and the shoveling begin.
 #1561199  by lensovet

The 1.9T proposal from Biden makes it clear that he learned from Obama's mistakes and will not be shy about pushing for "traditional" blue priorities, bipartisanship be damned. In my mind, that actually significantly improves the chances of this and many other projects getting started (think CAHSR as well).
 #1562330  by R&DB

mtuandrew wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 pm The CNJ Terminal (Communipaw) won’t see rail service again.

In the event of disaster or destruction of some number of the NY-NJ tunnels or bridges, CNJ would be best used as an exclusive bus to ferry transfer station.
Can't do that as the boat to land loading bridges were removed along with that section of the building around 1980 during the renovation from Terminal to a Museum. The 4 track bridge across Newark Bay and it's piers were removed by demolition in the early 80s as a hazard to navagation.
 #1562992  by Ken W2KB

R&DB wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:04 pm
mtuandrew wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 pm The CNJ Terminal (Communipaw) won’t see rail service again.

In the event of disaster or destruction of some number of the NY-NJ tunnels or bridges, CNJ would be best used as an exclusive bus to ferry transfer station.
Can't do that as the boat to land loading bridges were removed along with that section of the building around 1980 during the renovation from Terminal to a Museum. The 4 track bridge across Newark Bay and it's piers were removed by demolition in the early 80s as a hazard to navagation.
There is a ferry that operates from Liberty State Park, adjacent to the CNJ Terminal. While the CNJ ferry access infrastructure is long gone as you point out, the vast majority of the present NY Harbor ferryboats are smaller craft and operate from much simpler infrastructure as they are passenger only. The cost to install additional ferry ramps at Liberty State Park immediately adjacent to the terminal building would not be prohibitive. See, for example: https://www.libertylandingferry.com/
 #1563528  by RailsEast

News from the New Jersey Business & Industry Association.....

"Yesterday (2/16/21), the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) reversed a Trump administration policy that didn’t allow states or local entities to use federal loans as part of their funding match to get federal grants. Those opposed to the Trump policy say that it stalled progress on projects such the construction of new Hudson River tunnels.

Under the Trump administration guidance, first announced in June 2018, federal loans taken out by local project partners no longer counted as part of the local share for Capital Investment Grant (CIG) projects. According to Gov. Phil Murphy, this made it harder for states to finance their portions of transit infrastructure improvements, such as the Hudson Tunnel Project.

“Yesterday’s action will provide flexibility for the financing of the Gateway Program and other Northeast Corridor projects including for the construction of two new tunnels under the Hudson River,” Murphy said. “I spoke with [Transportation] Secretary Pete Buttigieg recently and raised my concerns on this funding issue with him directly, and I am pleased to see this action taken.”
 #1565178  by Ken W2KB

Delays by feds added $300M to new Hudson River tunnel costs

“If LBA is correct and nights/weekends repair-in-place is feasible...(it) will repair and upgrade the tunnel sooner than, ‘build new first, repair existing second.”

Clift argued that the added capacity isn’t as imperative to provide now because coronavirus has changed commuting patterns, with many continuing to work from home. https://www.nj.com/news/2021/03/delays- ... -says.html