Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Gateway Tunnels

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1553828  by Gilbert B Norman

Volks, isn't the ascent from Riverside Drive to George steep enough? One thing for autos, something else for rail. Funny how I remember riding in the '48 Pontiac "woody" and saying "Daddy, how do we get up there to the Bridge?".
 #1553830  by Jeff Smith

Yes, the grade is significant, as noted upthread. They'd need a significant tunnel/ramp to get down there, just as noted with the TZB proposal. That's why I was thinking Hellgate Line around 180th (the old NYW&B junction).
 #1553861  by STrRedWolf

Folks are forgetting... you got the New Jersey side of the GW Bridge to worry about! There's no rail nearby. You got to go through several suburbs to do it. Unfortunately I can't see any way to do it without taking over part of I-95 at Secaucus to just past the bridge... and you still got the single track on the Empire line. You're now down to 6 trains an hour.

Not good.
 #1554255  by Backshophoss

GWB to w30th street branch would be over 3% GRADE WISE a real bad dream,NY Penn is overloaded already so forgetaboutit! OK :P
 #1554434  by west point

Bridge ove the Hudson would have the problem of the many Utilities that cross. Unfortunately they are not located precisely. At least the Gateway tunnels will go under any forgotten utilities. Still I would expect one or more utilitys will be cut.
 #1555056  by BandA

Prepare the Emergency Backup Pontoon Railroad Bridge for when the tunnels fail, with tugboats to open & close the shipping channel.
 #1555103  by Pensyfan19

BandA wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:07 pm Prepare the Emergency Backup Pontoon Railroad Bridge for when the tunnels fail, with tugboats to open & close the shipping channel.
Or reroute everything via the PATH subway tunnels and reconstruct them to have connections to Hoboken and NYP. :P
 #1555121  by n2cbo

Pensyfan19 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:23 am
BandA wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:07 pm Prepare the Emergency Backup Pontoon Railroad Bridge for when the tunnels fail, with tugboats to open & close the shipping channel.
Or reroute everything via the PATH subway tunnels and reconstruct them to have connections to Hoboken and NYP. :P
I'm glad you put a smiley at the end of your post. I was just trying to imagine the double deck cars trying to fit into the PATH tunnels, let alone make the curves........ 8^)...
 #1555147  by STrRedWolf

n2cbo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:02 pm
Pensyfan19 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:23 am
I'm glad you put a smiley at the end of your post. I was just trying to imagine the double deck cars trying to fit into the PATH tunnels, let alone make the curves........ 8^)...
Oh it won't. It'll be a messy affair to get everyone on PATH and buses.
 #1555638  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:20 pm Mr. Wolf, are you of mind to emulate "my" road - only X the Hudson?

https://bridgehunter.com/ia/clayton/bh51377/
No. There's too much boat traffic on the Hudson to allow it. We can argue if it could support 60 mph operations, but it won't matter when a ferry is trying to get folks from New Jersey to New York and there's this damn useless pontoon bridge blocking the entire river.

Let me be clear on my position:
  • We can short-term reroute over PATH and ferries today because COVID-19 has folks working mostly from home.
  • We can't short-term reroute when things get back to pre-pandemic levels, and they will.
  • The best thing that CAN be done is BUILD THE DAMN TUNNELS and LAY DOWN MORE TRACK. Oh, and DO IT NOW.
  • Waiting any longer will make it more expensive.
 #1555645  by Gilbert B Norman

StrRedWolf wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mr. Wolf, are you of mind to emulate "my" road - only X the Hudson?
No. There's too much boat traffic on the Hudson to allow it.
Mr. Wolf. I was a college Freshman when the MILW abandoned the "bridge" during '61; and had no idea I'd be on the outfit's payroll some nine years later.

But from those having the "whiskers", such as the Agent at Marquette, IA, track speed was ostensibly 10mph - and that was on a "good day".