Railroad Forums 

• Mexico: Coaches.

• Discussion concerning Mexico's Class I railroad, and other Mexican rail operations. Official web-site: https://www.ferromex.com.mx/index-eng.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    KSC Mexican operations should remain in the KCS forum.
Discussion concerning Mexico's Class I railroad, and other Mexican rail operations. Official web-site: https://www.ferromex.com.mx/index-eng.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KSC Mexican operations should remain in the KCS forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#505359  by Thomas I

I've read that the NdeM (Mexican National Railways) has bought coaches from Hawker-Siddeley in the 1970s and from Kinki-Sharyo in the 1980s.

Has anybody informations about these coaches:

When built?
How many?
Original Numbering?
Which types? (How many seats? Maximum service speed?)
Where are they today?

I am pleased about each information I can get! :-D
 #506123  by george matthews

Thomas I wrote:I've read that the NdeM (Mexican National Railways) has bought coaches from Hawker-Siddeley in the 1970s and from Kinki-Sharyo in the 1980s.

Has anybody informations about these coaches:

When built?
How many?
Original Numbering?
Which types? (How many seats? Maximum service speed?)
Where are they today?

I am pleased about each information I can get! :-D
I gather that when the mexican government was compelled to privatise the system, the new owners from north of the border insisted on terminating passenger service, so that most of the carriages are probably either scrapped or rotting on sidings somewhere.

#506394  by David Benton

Well , from my travelling days in the early 90's , i presume the newer ones were the ons used on the shortlived express services . I rode one of these up to the border at Laredo . was definetly a more modern type of carriage ( it was night so couldnt see much ) . probably akin to European 2nd class . we got a cold meal for breakfast ( served by an attractive hostess, and a cup of cold cordial , which tasted terrible . the ride was also very bad , no doubt due to track condition .
The older carriages sound like the blue carriages used on all services then . they had a generator under each car , which was noisy , opening windows , and were actually quite comfortable . When you could get a seat , they were always crowded when i rode , which makes their demise seem strange . i have pictures of those , but no way of putting them on the net .

#510092  by Zanperk

If you haven't already try Mexlist.
so that most of the carriages are probably either scrapped or rotting on sidings somewhere.
I believe this is mostly the case. There might be some in use on the Tequila Express and the Mexican military (youtube) has a fleet of cars.
 #621054  by clutch

Some of these coaches ended up in Cuba. Still in mexican colors.

Re:

#641373  by goodnightjohnwayne

Zanperk wrote:....and the Mexican military (youtube) has a fleet of cars.
I count 49 coaches, with 10 boxcars and 10 flatcars, pulled by only a pair of locomotives. Now that is quite a heavy train for the limited motive power.

Considering how the typical Mexican passenger train at the very end consisted of only one or two coaches, I think that it's a fair bet that the Mexican military might have purchased the bulk of the former NdM's fleet of coaches. I have no idea what happened to all of the vintage sleepers and diners, although since that service ended before the NdeM was broken up, I would guess that they were disposed of some time before the bitter end?