Railroad Forums 

• Chicago area orientation - BNSF VETS HELP!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#987487  by marty

Did anyone else get emailed after applying on the BNSF website? I applied for Conductor Trainee and Intermodal Equipment Operator, and I guess they are hosting a different event for each position. I'm hoping some BNSF vets can weigh in with their opinions/advice/off topic banter, whatever!

- The Equipment Operator event is on the 16th of November and the Conductor event is on the 21st, but I'm shooting for the Conductor position. Is there any risk in attending both?

- What should I expect at either of these events? Is there any way I could better prepare myself? I've prepared all the obvious as I've been looking for work for a little while, but any insider info would be great!

- Here's a brief work/experience history: The bulk of my civilian work was in sales with AT&T. I worked as a mechanic for a spring/screw manufacturer for a few months, then got sent to Afghanistan for my second tour as an 88M (motor transportation operator, or truck driver). From what I've read on the forums here, I believe my experience in the army directly translates to the conductor position with BNSF (excluding a few things). I've been in for about 8 years and have moved pretty much any vehicle the army has, short of track vehicles. This last tour saw me commanding convoys of more than 20 vehicles at a time all over southern Afghanistans Kandahar province.

- Which position is better, or better yet which position would I fit in best?

- Finally, for all the fight fans, there's two big events going on tomorrow! Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos and Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez! Who are you putting your money on?

Thanks for reading, even if you dont have much input, at least weigh in on the fights!

-marty
 #987596  by recklessendangerment

Well for either of the two interviews, make sure to stress safety in your interview somewhere. Preferably more than once. BNSF is hiring Veteran's like crazy, which is good for you right now. The letter I got from Matt Rose with my veteran's day pin this year said that 1500 of the last 5000 hires were veterans, so you can tell they're giving quite a bit of preference for them. Dress decent but nothing too fancy, Khaki's & Dress shirt, maybe tie. Answer honestly with there questions and MAKE SURE to add anything about your prior criminal history/traffic record on to the application at the interview session, they'll give you a few minutes to do so in case you forgot anything. If they see it there they can ask you about it and possibly still run you through if there's something less than desirable, but if the background check company comes up with it later and its not on your application your done.

As for between the two positions, I can't tell you about the Intermodal Equipment Operator at all, but as for Conductor I do enjoy the hell out of my job. If you get on as a Conductor you're looking at a 14-16 week training program depending on where you are hiring at, you'll be getting about $160 bucks a day 6 days a week for this training. Once you get out of class and are out on the road you can easily expect to make 3 or 4k a week before taxes. Conductor will also let you transfer away from the Chicago area if you wish, IEO will as well but there are alot less places that intermodal equipment operators are at than there are places for conductors.

As for the Fights, Dos Santos and Manny

Semper Fi
 #987679  by marty

Thanks for the quick reply reckless.

I'm relieved to hear about the preference to veterans. I've been looking around for a few weeks now and it's pretty bad out there, so this is good news. Thanks also for the heads up on appropriate attire, it's kind of what I had in mind. I have no criminal history, just a couple of speeding tickets, the most recent one earlier this year when I came home on leave. The one before that was a few years ago. I mentioned both on the application.

It sounds like Conductor is the way to go. I have to wonder if you made a typo though. 3 or 4k a WEEK?? I think the yard I could potentially be working out of is the Corwith yard in Cicero, would the training be local or out of state?

Also, is there any possibility that I would be forced to relocate to keep my job?

Thanks again for the quick reply, oh and looks like I'll be rooting for the other guy tonight!

-marty
 #991467  by Engineer Spike

I had to learn the routes locally, but had rules training in KC. Locally there are lots of jobs between Corwith, Willow Springs, Joliet, Cicero, Eola/Aurora, and Rochelle. I got cut a year after hiring out. Tbey closed the Cicero hump, and sold the Fox River line to Illinois Scabnet. I then bid into Galesburg. It turned out good because my money went farther and I could hold better jobs. My experience is almost 15 years old, so things may have changed some.