Railroad Forums 

• Medical Clearance

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#952410  by steeler38

I have a question regarding obtaining a green light for the medical clearance through CHS. I have already taken the physical strength test, and the physical and got my DOT card. I am now awaiting to hear back from CHS in regards to the doctors decision, I am a veteran that has been diagnosed with PTSD and currently being treated at the VA with medications, also I have Mild Sleep Apnea that is being treated with a CPAP machine. I have submitted all of the required documentation requested by CHS and I am just wondering if these conditions will have a negative affect towards the doctors decision?
 #952521  by Gadfly

Not sure. Do you fall asleep during the day, or doze off at odd times? What do you call "mild"? If so, it *might*. You CANNOT sleep on duty, and, indeed, the rules state that "Attention to duty is required at all times", and "sleeping on duty is prohibited"---among others.

If you CAN control this, maybe it won't mess things up, I just don't know. I DO know that working with trains is dangerous, attention to what is going on at ALL times is imperative. You MUST be able to react to signals each and everytime. Honestly, I would not want to work with someone who *might* fall asleep on me at a critical juncture. It can get people killed!
I don't mean that harshly; it is just a concern. I don't know how the railroad would view you as an employee as I never had these conditions.

GF