Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#794875  by mkerfe

What is the rate of pay for Engineers and Conductors on BNSF-what is starting and what do you top out at? Also is it daily, hourly or by the mile? Thanks!
 #795407  by jz441

There is no general wage at BNSF... Every region and former railroad has different agreements. Maybe if you tell us where would you like to work, we can narrow it down what the wages are in that area. Over all, the money is very good... :wink:
 #795408  by jz441

ChicagoSub25 wrote:
1. Is It Best To Attend The National Academy Of Railroad Sciences, Or Just Get Work Experience As Something Such As A UPS Package Handler, Or Both?
BNSF runs NARS, therefore you have a very high chance of getting hired by BNSF if you do good in class.
ChicagoSub25 wrote:2. Once You Hire On As A Conductor, I Know You Than Afterwards Become An Engineer, And Was Wondering What Positions In Management Come Afterwards, Since You Would Be Moving Up The Ladder, Would You Need A Degree?
You don't have to become an engineer... Some people are happy working as a conductor. You also don't have to be an engineer to become a manager. If you have a degree, you can move up pretty high within the company.
ChicagoSub25 wrote:3. Why Is BNSF Treated Better By Railfans Than Say Union Pacific, CSX, ETC. By Treated Better I Mean Why Do They Say BNSF Is The Best?
BNSF is a friendlier RR... They also treat their employees better then UP or CSX.
ChicagoSub25 wrote:4. Where Does BNSF Commonly Hire Conductor Trainee's, By State Please?
Where they need them!
ChicagoSub25 wrote:5. And Lastly, What Is The Difference Between A Conductor And A Switchman?
Once hired, you will be qualified as both. When you work in the yard switching cars, you are a switchman... When working a main line train, you are a conductor.
 #795416  by matawanaberdeen

jz441 wrote:There is no general wage at BNSF... Every region and former railroad has different agreements. Maybe if you tell us where would you like to work, we can narrow it down what the wages are in that area. Over all, the money is very good... :wink:
I was gonna say,GOOD! JC
 #795706  by scoonie79

I graduated from NARS in aug. 2008. Do you know if i would still have a real good chance of getting hired with bnsf even though its been a year and a half since there hasnt been openings?
 #796060  by jz441

All hiring for conductors is on freeze since the downturn.... Things are definitely picking up! Almost everyone in my area has been called back, and we are running short on manpower. You can expect to see some posting for conductors later this year. If you attended NARS and you did well in class, you will get the preference, over applicants of the street. Applicants with previous RR experience get the preference. If you apply for a certain area like Kansas City and they offer you some other location... TAKE IT! If you turn it down, and say, I would rather wait for something local, you most likely wont get another chance!
 #796372  by scoonie79

Ok thanks. One other thing that i was wondering was even though i don't have relavant work experience like mechanical type work except for driving a walkie stacker and scissor lift some and ive worked outdoors some at my jobs like in the winter putting stuff on and off trailers but my jobs havent been strictly outdoor jobs. I havent worked oncall either just every now and then my work will call me and see if i could work on my time off and i usually say yes but not a job that is strictly oncall. I Just wondered if NARS was enough. I just feel like i need something else to get an edge like military experience or a college degree. I mean im 30 years old and have had a very stable work history with a great attendance record and accident free. And i have one year of college credits. I don't have any drug convictions or dui's or traffic violations. Ive taken the written and physical test before and had no problem with them and i think i interview pretty well. I worked for a year at walgreens distribution center in the warehouse and helped my cousin who works for united trucking go on the road and move a few people before but other than that my work experience is 11 years of working in retail. Just wondered if NARS would be enough of an edge to get hired with my background and experience.
 #796559  by jz441

If you did well in class, NARS is enough! Make sure when you apply in the future to note on your application that you attended NARS.
 #796748  by scoonie79

thanks. I thought so but didnt know since i graduated over a year and a half ago but no one had been hiring. I scored a 93% on my final exam at NARS so i think thats good enough. I guess BNSF is really about the only railroad that gives any preference from NARS. I dont think the others really care much and i think it kinda hurts you a little with the other railroads. They are kinda like well since you went to NARS then BNSF can hire you then. I hope they do and i hope they hire around st louis soon cause i live just over an hour from there and i have heard pretty good things about that terminal and i think nearly half are retiring soon.
 #796946  by jz441

scoonie79 wrote: I guess BNSF is really about the only railroad that gives any preference from NARS. I dont think the others really care much and i think it kinda hurts you a little with the other railroads. They are kinda like well since you went to NARS then BNSF can hire you then.
NARS teaches BNSF style railroading...
 #845528  by jz441

metalriff wrote:Does BNSF charge you for the school? Do yo get paid while attending conductor school? Thanks
They don't charge you for the school, and yes, you get paid from day 1.
 #846108  by twrops

Was recently at a BNSF hiring event for Conductor Trainee at the Cicero Yard.
Did well on the test and face to face interview....

My question is this.. from what I have read, even on other threads here, there are still folks on
furlough from Cicero (as well as Corwith) and yet they are looking to hire new trainees?
Would this lead to completing training and being furloughed right away?

Also wondering about the :90 min from notification report to work deal.
I have no problem with the odd or irregular hours but do you ever get more than the :90 min
advance notice?

Lastly.. anyone have any opinion/feedback on working Cicero??

Thanks.
 #846478  by railly5

jz441 wrote:
metalriff wrote:Does BNSF charge you for the school? Do yo get paid while attending conductor school? Thanks
They don't charge you for the school, and yes, you get paid from day 1.[/quoti I recently got a job offer from bnsf . did the drug screen and interview , background check and went for a eye and hearing test. its been almost a week since that test and i have not heard anything. is this how it usually goes . or am i hoping for nothing?
 #856216  by shawnd71

i have recently applied and have gone thru the interview portion and waiting on my next step. i have a few questions that i would like to ask someone who has experience working for BNSF. what could i expect to make first starting out? what is the rate of pay once i reach 100%?