Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#495019  by rbo

taer87 wrote:I WENT TO MY BNSF INTERVIEW FEB. 26, WENT TO MY STRENGTH TEST, AND PHYSICAL MARCH 5, AND MARCH 9, I HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING BACK SINCE, DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG BEFORE BNSF CONTACTS YOU TO LET YOU KNOW IF YOUR HIRED?
I am in the same situation right now. I received an e-mail stating that I passed but that was a week ago. How long before you heard anything?

#495071  by PSNOUS

Got my email invitation today for interview and testing session on the Jan 31.

I hope this is the start of something good

#495084  by GN 599

As was mentioned before learn to switch. The yard is an unforgiving place to incompetance and ingnorance. When you get out of class mark up on a yard job for a couple months and forget about the road even if you can hold it. It will help you out a lot and you will earn respect from the other guys that have been there a while. People like working with people that know how to switch and it will help you as a conductor when you have to do some funky switching move out there on the road someday. :wink:

#495168  by KarlJ

Hmm, it's been nearly four years since taer87 asked... maybe he's heard something by now.
 #543059  by castordream

I was in the class at interbay, they changed our class to 20 weeks, have they done this with all the conductor trainee class?
 #543084  by PSNOUS

The NARS conductor training here in KS is 6 weeks
 #543184  by GN 599

castordream wrote:I was in the class at interbay, they changed our class to 20 weeks, have they done this with all the conductor trainee class?
From what new hires have said yes. They added a few weeks on the end for RCO training. I am not sure though because we didnt have them when I hired out.
Our class was 16 weeks.
 #757631  by cifn2

foundsheep wrote:Do you have to hang on to a boxcar for 5 minutes and stuff like that?

UP has a static hang test in their agility testing, I did it on a machine, which was attached to my chest to measure my breathing and heart rate, and following the test they checked my blood pressure, I stood on a ladder a few steps up which was straight up, you had to wear a vest which had about 10lbs or so of weight in it to simulate a Remote Control Box on your chest. They only required you to do it for 2 minutes, I thought it was earlier on the RR then it was in the testing situation. Of course in the testing situation you had just pulled and pushed on the static machine for the rest of the testing.
 #766344  by RAILROADTRAINING

DO GET HIRED AS A BNSF CONDUCTOR, DO YOU THINK I SHOULD WORK FOR A SHORTLINE/REGIONAL RAILROAD FOR A WHILE, OR GO TO THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF RAILROAD SCIENCES
OR BOTH?
THANK YOU.
 #766346  by RAILROADTRAINING

WHAT IS IT LIKE TO NOT ONLY WORK ON THE BNSF CONDUCTOR EXTRA BOARD, BUT ANY RAILROADS CONDUCTOR BOARD, CAN YOU TAKE VACATIONS, HOW OFTEN ARE YOU CALLED, HOW LONG ARE YOU ON THE EXTRA BOARD UNTIL YOU WORK FULL-TIME, AND IF YOU ARE SICK AND THEY CALL YOU DO YOU STILL HAVE TO WORK?
THANK YOU.
 #770299  by jz441

RAILROADTRAINING wrote:DO GET HIRED AS A BNSF CONDUCTOR, DO YOU THINK I SHOULD WORK FOR A SHORTLINE/REGIONAL RAILROAD FOR A WHILE, OR GO TO THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF RAILROAD SCIENCES
OR BOTH?
THANK YOU.
BNSF hires from short lines and from NARS. I wouldn't do both.
 #770303  by jz441

RAILROADTRAINING wrote:WHAT IS IT LIKE TO NOT ONLY WORK ON THE BNSF CONDUCTOR EXTRA BOARD, BUT ANY RAILROADS CONDUCTOR BOARD,
That varies from place to place....
RAILROADTRAINING wrote: CAN YOU TAKE VACATIONS,
Yes

RAILROADTRAINING wrote:HOW OFTEN ARE YOU CALLED,
Pretty much every day!
RAILROADTRAINING wrote:
HOW LONG ARE YOU ON THE EXTRA BOARD UNTIL YOU WORK FULL-TIME,
Extra board is a full time job!
RAILROADTRAINING wrote: AND IF YOU ARE SICK AND THEY CALL YOU DO YOU STILL HAVE TO WORK?
THANK YOU.
If you are sick, you call them and let them know... If you don't call off and you get called, you have to come to work or face discipline!
 #794472  by ChicagoSub25

I Am Interested With A Career In The BNSF Railway As A Conductor, And Possibly A Locomotive Engineer As Well, And Was Wondering A Few Things?

1. Is It Best To Attend The National Academy Of Railroad Sciences, Or Just Get Work Experience As Something Such As A UPS Package Handler, Or Both?

2. Once You Hire On As A Conductor, I Know You Than Afterwards Become An Engineer, And Was Wondering What Positions In Management Come Afterwards, Since You Would Be Moving Up The Ladder, Would You Need A Degree?

3. Why Is BNSF Treated Better By Railfans Than Say Union Pacific, CSX, ETC. By Treated Better I Mean Why Do They Say BNSF Is The Best?

4. Where Does BNSF Commonly Hire Conductor Trainee's, By State Please?

5. And Lastly, What Is The Difference Between A Conductor And A Switchman?