Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#579154  by Peteypablo

Hello everyone,

I just received an email from BNSF to go to one of there hiring sessions, and so I am trying to figure some stuff out before I leave my current job, that is IF I am offered a job with BNSF as a conductor trainee.
First off I have seen bits and pieces spread across this board about this position so I would like to see if someone out there can answer a few questions for me. I have been wondering about pay scales as a conductor trainee, benefits, health insurance 401'k and retirement plans? Are they good?
Training session if you are hired, I have been reading it's about 15 weeks worth of training, are you gone at some BNSF hub/traing facility the whole time or are you in training for a couple of weeks out of state, then train while you are back home? How does it work?
Another big one for me is time away from home, I currently travel frequently with my job that I have now, but from what I have been hearing you are gone A LOT. How much time have you guys experienced? What is a typical week for some of you guys as far as time at work, and time at home? Also they say you are on call 24/7/365, how often are you called in at 3am? How are they with giving you time off? Do you work 7 days a week and holidays or do you actually have a real weekend to yourself?
Any information would be greatly appreciated!! I know that I should be asking this stuff at my interview but I would like to know some of this stuff before I show up for this hiring session. Thanks! :-D
 #579526  by jz441

Peteypablo wrote:Hello everyone,

I just received an email from BNSF to go to one of there hiring sessions, and so I am trying to figure some stuff out before I leave my current job, that is IF I am offered a job with BNSF as a conductor trainee.
You wont be offered a job... yet. You will be taking the pre-employment test. Once you pass the test, you will be called in for an interview, generally weeks or months later.
Peteypablo wrote:First off I have seen bits and pieces spread across this board about this position so I would like to see if someone out there can answer a few questions for me. I have been wondering about pay scales as a conductor trainee, benefits, health insurance 401'k and retirement plans? Are they good?
I don't remember the pay scales (it's been 11 yrs) but I do remember it being pretty good towards the end. The benefits and retirement are one of the best in the nation, as it is the case on most class I RR's.
Peteypablo wrote:Another big one for me is time away from home, I currently travel frequently with my job that I have now, but from what I have been hearing you are gone A LOT. How much time have you guys experienced? What is a typical week for some of you guys as far as time at work, and time at home?
If you work the road jobs, you will be spending between 8-12 hrs at home and gone 24-30hrs. In yard service you go home upon completion of your shift, but can expect to be back in 8 hrs.... Very little time off!
Peteypablo wrote: Also they say you are on call 24/7/365, how often are you called in at 3am? How are they with giving you time off?
Railroads are not good with giving time off! They will never tell you after working 90 days without any time off, ok, you earned it, take a day off!
There are ways to take time off, but you will learn the ropes as you get hired... :wink:
Peteypablo wrote:Do you work 7 days a week and holidays or do you actually have a real weekend to yourself?
As a nubby, don't expect to have any holidays off, for years to come.

Good luck!..
 #579737  by capt251978

i have recently applied for locomotive mechanic, was tested, interviewed. i have completed the strenth training, and go in
friday for a hearing and vision test. In the e-mail giving me the date, time and location of said test, it stated there would be a package there waiting for me..... please tell me it is a stack of shirts and bnsf hats along with a schedueled
time to report for work!!! j/k. seriouly though, how much longer do you all think i have to wait in order to hear something????
 #579821  by Komachi

I applied for a position as a Bridge Tender in the Twin Cities with "Uncle Pete" back in March.

Last time I checked my application status... they're still reviewing my application.

So, I don't know what to tell ya.

I get the same from radio stations... and I've been in the broadcasting biz for 14.5 years. Fun, huh? :(

But, as fascinating as this conversation is, it's going to have to go to the employment forum...
 #580073  by shawnsandegren

i just got my email telling me to report to Jonesboro Ar. for 2 weeks orientation for track maintenance. my ??? are does bnsf pay mileage? and once you get assigned to a crew and travel do they pay perdium and mileage?

thanks shawn looking forward to a good career
 #580076  by shawnsandegren

o and how much traveling do you really do? they told me alot which is ok but im just curious
 #580186  by ArkansasAlex

I live in near Jonesboro, and they have a bunch of BNSF in town now, working on the track. Jonesboro is a pretty boring town, so don't expect much.

-Alex
 #580294  by shawnsandegren

i was hired for the st.louis mo district not sure of a crew but suppose to report for orientation and training just wondering about any perdiem and mileage pay
 #581110  by fedopp

UP had it's hiring sesson June 17 - 18.
200 applied and 70 showed up.
they hired 3 and are holding 4 alt applications.

all 3 completed training as far as i know.
 #581287  by fedopp

I think that is an accurate statement... i don't think they will hire another bridge tender this year.. the bridge tenders get laid off Dec 15 when the river closes. they won't go back to work until March. If they replace anyone i don't see them hiring any new people until then.
You might look at oppenings on some of the other B & B crews. Then transfer as a position is posted as being open.
 #581394  by fedopp

It just means that they won't be hiring anyone until some time next year. Watch for a job listing then re-apply.
 #581396  by capt251978

i mean im not applying for a bridge tender, i applied for locomotive mechanic.
 #581397  by fedopp

my reply was directed to Komachi...he applied as a bridge tender with the UP