Railroad Forums 

• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#567406  by CSX Conductor

changed wrote:I kinda figured it was a breakman!! I didn't think the railroads hired people on as breakman anymore though they was all hired as conductors and used as breakman when needed
Freight railroads hire conductors as there is only an engineer and a conductor on each train. Passenger railroads hire assistant conductors and promote them to conductors after they meet certain requirements such as qualifying on physical characteristics.
RearOfSignal wrote:It was taught that those terms were sexist by referring only to 'men'. Apparently the title Asst Conductor is politically correct, or so they say.
Many railroad timetables and or rule books actually contain disclaimer clauses nowadays which read something along these lines: "The word man is used in this book refering to both man or woman."
 #571183  by dclarke474

I need help. I am schedule to take the asst. conductor test on September 29th could someone please tell me how do the time the test. Is like the post office or norfolk southern test where you have 15mins to answer 80 questions or is it just a regular test which is 2hrs. Also, is there a MN AC book I can buy to study and what could eliminate you if when they do a credit check?
 #571434  by RearOfSignal

dclarke474 wrote:I need help. I am schedule to take the asst. conductor test on September 29th could someone please tell me how do the time the test. Is like the post office or norfolk southern test where you have 15mins to answer 80 questions or is it just a regular test which is 2hrs. Also, is there a MN AC book I can buy to study and what could eliminate you if when they do a credit check?
The whole day tests and information session is about 2.5-3 hours. Each portion vocab, math, mechanical aptitude and personality is timed. There is no MNR AC book to study from, they'll teach you everything you need to know. As far a credit and background check, things like judgments against you for stealing from an employer, etc. Ask the H.R. rep when when you go to take the test, they can give you a better answer.
 #571449  by dclarke474

Thank you Rear of Signal. Do you or anyone know if the test is similar to NS or CSX test where have to be quick to answer 80 questions in 11mins?
 #571493  by RearOfSignal

When I took the test I wasn't rushed, just try to answer as many as you can -correctly! I had enough time to go back and check most of my responses.
 #571574  by hvmedic538

I too am scheduled to take the AC test on 9/29, in the packet it was mentioned that if hired you had approx 2-3 hrs to report to one of seven home stations. It didn't list there locations, does anyone know where those are for MN. Thanks.
 #571576  by RearOfSignal

Crewbases are GCT, Stamford, New Haven, Danbury, North White Plains, Brewster, Croton-Harmon, Poughkeepsie.

Examples of questions: two passengers buy 4.75 tickets. What's the amount due, what's the change out of 20? There's also vocab and mechanical tests. Really, nothing you can study for, you either know or you don't.
 #571615  by CSX Conductor

RearOfSignal wrote:Crewbases are GCT, Stamford, New Haven, Danbury, North White Plains, Brewster, Croton-Harmon, Poughkeepsie.
I may be mistaken here, but from what I've heard / read on here usually the newbies get stuck working out of Grand Central because the old-heads don't want to pay the pricey Manhattan rents.
 #571654  by dclarke474

If hired as an assistant conductor,is require to start on the extra broad at first or you start as a regular worker? Also, how do they determine if you are a passenger or non passenger assistant conductor.