Railroad Forums 

• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#566518  by Gerbasim

Hi guys, just wanted to know a little more about the asst conductors test. Im confirmed to take it august 21 in north white plains. Any tips or help would be great, THANKS!!!
 #566594  by juanbo4life

i want to know about the asistant conductor test, so i can study?
 #566698  by Swedish Meatball

The test used to consist of basic math, mechanicical abilities and a psychological test. You really cant study for it. Your credit history and interview will be important as well. Dont go to interview wearing jeans and a T shirt. iIf they ask you are you willing to work weekends and holidays you better say, that you will work any hours at anytime.
 #566710  by RearOfSignal

Otto Vondrak wrote:They'll probably test you on things you need to know to be an Assistant Conductor.

-otto-
Hahaha, that's great, best line I've heard all day!!!!
 #566806  by changed

What is a asst conductor?

interview advice.. when you go in there they will show you a couple boring videos pay attetion and at least act interested in them. Act interested in everything they say! Was talking to 2 trainmasters last night that go to some of the hiring sessions in my area and they made those comments that some people set there doodle on paper or daydream during the videos. They said they will not hire them!!
 #566815  by RearOfSignal

changed wrote:What is a asst conductor?
A Trainman or Brakeman. It was taught that those terms were sexist by referring only to 'men'. Apparently the title Asst Conductor is politically correct, or so they say.
 #566818  by changed

I kinda figured it was a breakman!! I didn't think the railroads hired people on as breakman anymore though they was all hired as conductors and used as breakman when needed
 #566830  by Gerbasim

Swedish Meatball wrote:The test used to consist of basic math, mechanicical abilities and a psychological test. You really cant study for it. Your credit history and interview will be important as well. Dont go to interview wearing jeans and a T shirt. iIf they ask you are you willing to work weekends and holidays you better say, that you will work any hours at anytime.
oh ok no problem, im really good at all stuff!!! If i cant wear jeans or anything like that should I wear dresss pants and a collared shirt than???
 #566833  by Gerbasim

lol will they be interviewing me on the day of the test or will they call me back if I pass the test??? I know for the interview I am not going to where jeans and a t-shirt but for the test I am going to look presentable though....
 #566869  by thebigc

Can anyone out there give me a clue as to which carrier we're discussing here in this thread?

And to whomever the mod was that moved it here: next time, could you provide the carrier and possibly edit the title as such? The last thing we need in the Employment forum is yet another generic thread title.

Thanx
 #566886  by RearOfSignal

This was moved from the Metro-North forum... thread title clarification Otto?
Gerbasim wrote:lol will they be interviewing me on the day of the test or will they call me back if I pass the test??? I know for the interview I am not going to where jeans and a t-shirt but for the test I am going to look presentable though....
Collared/buttoned shirt and slacks will be fine. The interview will not be on the day of the test. You'll only get an interview if you pass the tests and the background check. The interview and physical abilities test will be together on a later date.
 #566976  by Swedish Meatball

If I were to be interviewed I would wear a tie as well. The winter uniform requires you to wear one. If you are a lady you should wear either a business suit or dress. The job of an AC requires you to act as a professional so you should look the part. One question they always ask is why do you want to work for the railroad. You should answer in the first person. You should not reply that your father or friend says the job is good or something along those lines.
 #567282  by thebigc

RearOfSignal wrote:This was moved from the Metro-North forum... thread title clarification Otto?
I'll take care of that, which is why I was inquiring.