Railroad Forums 

• NEED HELP Don't know much about BNSF Need info please

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#493443  by diceman_59531

I got a job offer from bnsf for a Locomotive diesel mechanic. I was wondering how are the benefits and how pay is like and how much on average do employees make on there profit sharing Please give me all the info u can give me.

#493501  by diceman_59531

Yes i was wondering what they had to offer in those areas

#493531  by GN 599

As far as the rank and file only locomotive engineers get profit sharing. There is 401k but BNSF does not match it. Wages are good with good health benefits. We have to pay 160 a month but the care is good and it covers dentat and vision as well. I am not sure what the diesel shop guys make but I would bet around 40k a year at first. Like I mentioned on another thread before the best thing is not paying into Social Security. Railroaders have their own retirement handled by a seperate entity, the Railroad Retirement Board. We pay a little more but we get more. The way Social Security is going in the toilet that would be a major selling point for me. But even with railroad retirement I have invested in 401k and real estate.

#493536  by blacksmith72

We make about $23/hr now, but we voted down our last contract. When we get a new one, we'll be somewhere around $25.
On average the guys here earn about $65K to $80K a year. The most a machinist earned here last year was just under $150K (he worked ALL the time)
Insurance is $153/mo. Union dues is $53/ month. Its a good job.

#493636  by diceman_59531

They say as an apprentice it is 18.13 and hr then full rate is 21.59 is the 21 dollars an hr just starting pay for diesel mechanics then down the line you get raises or do you have to wait until new contracts are made up. this is in Havre mt
 #515854  by Brianb

What was the testing like? I just applied for the same job and received a test date. Thanks Brian