• Questions about Norfolk Southern corporate office

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by tun

Hello folks, this is my first post in the NS forum. I was at my college's career fair today and I was surprised to see a Norfolk Southern table (they were the only transportation based company there, let alone railroad company). I walked over to the table and discussed with the nice woman (I forget her name unfortunately) about internship opportunities there. This is for Human Resources and Labor Relations intern positions btw. She said there was a living stipend offered with the internship since it would be in Norfolk, VA. Now I had a few questions that I forgot to ask her about.

1) What's the housing situation in Norfolk? Will I be able to find good, cheap housing near the corporate office? How is the public transportation around there?
2) How close is the corporate office to the actual trains, trainyards and such? This isn't such a big concern since I would probably visit them when performing my internship.
3) How's the nightlife in Norfolk? I'll be 20 when and if I took this internship, so I don't exactly want to be bored out there. This is probably my biggest worry because I'd probably be all alone in a brand new city.

That's it for now. I actually need to get in contact with the intern recruiting manager to talk about this, but having some extra info wouldn't hurt. Thanks!

btw, this is the pay scheme

Monthly Salary
Sophomore $2125
Junior $2335

I am a sophomore at the moment, and by the time I would take this summer position, I will have completely my sophomore year. Would NS consider me as a junior or sophomore?

by R&NFan

I visit Norfolk pretty often since my mom lives in Richmond. It's a nice place depending on where you are (as in most US cities). I'm not sure about the housing question. But there is quite a bit of rail traffic in the area as well as huge coal transfer facility. The office building is near the Norfolk waterfront which is a really nice place to go. There is a park/oriental garden, nautical museum, and a historic district. The mall is nearby as well as numerous parking decks. I'm not sure about transportation within the city. When I'm there I usually walk (Daytime).

I believe there are bars and nightclubs. You are also near VA Beach which is a happening place. I'm a big transportation buff...Trains, Ships, Planes etc. If you have a scanner TAKE IT! You will hear alot between train movements, maritime stuff and MilAir if your into that stuff. I really like the Norfolk area. There is alot of history and interesting things to do. You also have a really nice view of the waterfront and the shipyards from the office building.

Hope I gave you a little insight. I'm sure if you type in Norfolk VA in a search engine, you will get alot more info, especially with the housing and transportation end.

Chris

by steamman5320

I am Active Duty Navy, and work part time as an Engineer for the Bay Coast Railroad. Because of the Navy, there is tons of nightlife, and lots of apartments and rental properties around. Mostly buses for public transport, but a light rail should be started next year. It's a nice town, with lots to do here and around the area.

by musicmarine

Norfolk is a good town to live in. Downtown is where the corporate HQ is and I would venture to say it is going to be fairly expensive to live close enough to walk or ride the bus. However you can live on the outskirts or in VA Beach or something like that and get a decent 1 BR apartment for 800 dollars a month or so. If you don't mind a commute then you also have Hampton and Newport News on the other side of the tunnels. You have to deal with some traffic but nothing that can't be handled. I live in Newport News and haven't had too much problems. Nightlife is going to be good. In the summer it heats up a lot because of the tourist season and people vacationing at the bech and so on. Good luck!