Railroad Forums 

• New NS Conductor Hire

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#454329  by musicmarine

I just got hired on as a conductor out of Norfolk, VA. I have done the physical and the BG check. How long should it take for them to call me with a report date for McDonough? Also, how much notice will they give me before I have to be there? Lastly, after the training period is over and I am marked up, how much should I expect to make salary-wise? Thanks! I can't wait to start!!!

#454377  by ziggy44

Happy to here about you getting hired. Like I have told several people the railroad is in no hurry it could be anywhere from two months to two weeks. Just hang in there. I got a weeks notice to report to McDonough when I got hired last year. To answer your question about how much work or how much you get called out, not sure about Norfolk. I work out of Roanoke, my run is west we are usually the busiest . It has slowed down a lot!! I have been getting out about 3 times a week, but I usually get to work all weekend of course. On the bright side they are starting a tunnel project this month or should I say suppose to , they are going to reroute several trains going north to Shenandoah and east to Norfolk. Also I should add we have about 8 people on a consolidated list. That is a list for cut back conductors, conductors that just got marked up. In other words they have no place to go on a extra list, and get to work whenever the extra list are exhausted , mostly on the weekends. One thing to know about the railroad it is a Feast or a Famine. I will be happy to answer any of your questions and good luck on your new carrier.

#454387  by acela 2036

Congratz! Best of luck to you on the RR!!

#456814  by steamman5320

Congradulations!

I, unfortunatly, after careful review of my qualifications, was no longer offered concideration for the Norfolk Condutor position. Or the Columbia, SC, or Charlotte, NC. :wink:

I'll keep trying, it's the name of the game!

Again, good luck and hope to see you out there with the orange hat on in Portlock yard soon. (I'm an engineer for the ex-Eastern Shore, now Bay Coast Railroad. You'll see us out there if you work in the yard any.)