Railroad Forums 

• Conrail Wages?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#444899  by Brakey

Nope its not Canadian money, its US.

And no, I wasn't bragging...funny how everyone gets upset about that. He asked about Conrail, then someone said stuff about CSX and NS, so I added the CN. I could tell you about CP pay also, but you would get upset about that too probably.

New hires start out at 90% on the CN, but they are on an hourly rate, so....

Sorry about the "bragging"......I forget that on the internet we aren't adults anymore.

#444920  by DutchRailnut

so your saying they pay $36.87 per hour ????

#444931  by Brakey

Please don't yell at me :(

From the UTU Agreement (this only represents from 8-01-07, 3 % increase in 2008 and a 4% increase in 2009):

New hires start at 90%, once conductor promotion test is taken, new hires will be bumped to 100%. All OT is accrued after 10 hours.

New Hire-
90% of daily rate
$27.54/hour
$275.40 Basic Day (10hrs)
$41.31/hour punitive (OT)
$34.10/hour holiday
$51.15/hour holiday punitive (OT)

Brakeman-
100% rate
$30.60/hour
$306.00 Basic Day (10hrs)
$45.90/hour punitive (OT)
$37.15/hour holiday
$55.73/hour holiday punitive (OT)

Conductor-
100% rate
$32.78/hour
$327.80 Basic Day (10hrs)
$49.17/hour punitive (OT)
$39.34/hour holiday
$59.01/hour holiday punitive (OT)

Trainman's guaranteed Extra Board- $1,475.19/week, 1 day off week 1, 2 days off week 2.

#444954  by DutchRailnut

from your post the pay is based on 10 hours a day and 6 days a week. that comes to less than $30 per hour.

#444956  by Brakey

Cool.

I make more than my guarantee though. To compare:

CSX- $1560/2 weeks or $3120/month (75% post 85'ers)
CP - $2070/2 weeks or $4140/month
CN- $2950/2 weeks or $5900/month

I made more as a 90% trainee in one trip than I did as a 100% conductor at both places.

But in regards to the hourly wage agreement on CN, alot of work rules are different.

#444993  by jz441

BNSF conductors guarantee is $3600 for 2 weeks... (former coastlines, ATSF). This agreement applies to all former ATSF terminals west of Belen, NM.

#445211  by Yeehawz

:(

It seems Conrail just can not offer a competitive salary after all. I think I am going to pass on the interview. I can not afford to make $15.93 an hour. Overtime at 20 hours extra a week would be great, but you know damn well that's not guaranteed especially with Conrail..

$15.93 * 40 = $637 * 4 = $2548 * 12 = $30,576. (base estimate)

Terrible. Add in 20 hours overtime in any given week and you're looking at $637 + $477.90 = $1114 * 4 = $4459 * 12 = $53515 (much beter)

but thats working 20 hours OT every week of the year.. not gonna happen.. thanks guys.

#445393  by BigWeb

Brakey wrote:Nope its not Canadian money, its US.

And no, I wasn't bragging...funny how everyone gets upset about that. He asked about Conrail, then someone said stuff about CSX and NS, so I added the CN. I could tell you about CP pay also, but you would get upset about that too probably.

New hires start out at 90% on the CN, but they are on an hourly rate, so....

Sorry about the "bragging"......I forget that on the internet we aren't adults anymore.
Brag probably wasn't the word I should have used there. I just feel that pay rates shouldn't be posted on this website. We are not state or federal employees. Our wages are not paid by tax dollars. If someone wants to know pay rates for a certain craft, a private message should be sent. I don't know what a mechanic or an insurance salesman make. I could probably ballpark it, but it's nobodys business but their own.

There's enough foamers that read and post on this website that think that traincrews have it made. Yes I make a decent living as a conductor. But I have no life to show for it.

Is that "adult" enough for you?

#445440  by jz441

BigWeb wrote:
Brag probably wasn't the word I should have used there. I just feel that pay rates shouldn't be posted on this website. We are not state or federal employees. Our wages are not paid by tax dollars. If someone wants to know pay rates for a certain craft, a private message should be sent.
I respect your opinion, but don't agree with you... This is where people come to collect information before making that "life changing" move.
I personally believe that everyone who is interested in working for a railroad has the right to know what to expect.
 #582270  by cbrink44

I went to a hiring session for south Jersey area the pay that they stated was 75 percent starting at 17.83 a hour

Re:

#582373  by chemin-de-fer

jz441 wrote:BNSF conductors guarantee is $3600 for 2 weeks... (former coastlines, ATSF). This agreement applies to all former ATSF terminals west of Belen, NM.
jz441, could you please list at least some of those terminals? Is Belen included, or only going west, or not at all? Apologise for not knowing my railroad history, but am considering employment with Buy Norfolk Southern First.

I don't get what the problem is with the payscales. I've found it very interesting. WC used to pay on a 10-hour day as well, sounds like that's a regional thing up that way. Anyway, I found the info very helpful, thanks to all who typed it out for us.
 #582574  by jz441

chemin-de-fer wrote:
jz441 wrote:BNSF conductors guarantee is $3600 for 2 weeks... (former coastlines, ATSF). This agreement applies to all former ATSF terminals west of Belen, NM.
jz441, could you please list at least some of those terminals? Is Belen included, or only going west, or not at all? Apologise for not knowing my railroad history, but am considering employment with Buy Norfolk Southern First.
Not a problem at all... :-D
Belen, NM is not included in ATSF Coastlines agreement... Everithing west of it is... Gallup NM, Winslow AZ, Needles CA, San Bernardino CA, Barstow, Los Angeles, Long Beach, San Diego, Bakesrsfield, Fresno, Richmond CA, and everything in between.
Since I posted the rates of pay above, conductors got a new agreement, and the guarantee is now up to $4000 per half or $8000/ month... :-D

Good luck!... :wink:
 #582590  by chemin-de-fer

Thank you jz441. Now I just need to think about where the weather will be best....decisions, decisions :-)
jz441 wrote: Not a problem at all... :-D
Belen, NM is not included in ATSF Coastlines agreement... Everithing west of it is... Gallup NM, Winslow AZ, Needles CA, San Bernardino CA, Barstow, Los Angeles, Long Beach, San Diego, Bakesrsfield, Fresno, Richmond CA, and everything in between.
Since I posted the rates of pay above, conductors got a new agreement, and the guarantee is now up to $4000 per half or $8000/ month... :-D

Good luck!... :wink:
 #616168  by MickeyK

Does conrail only promote engineers from within or will they hire from other roads?